TurboTax and a two-state return

daveward

If all goes as planned 2018 will find me owing state taxes to two states...how cool is that...

Let's assume I'm a resident of state one for 4 months and state two for 8 months.  I usually like and use TurboTax but the CD version I buy only includes one state return.  I assume others have had a similar experience and wonder what's been done to get access to the second state return.  Thanks!!

I don't buy their CD. Have filed with them many years on line. Cheaper then the CD.
Just filed 2017's last Sunday. I do pay them the $29.99 to keep all my info that makes it a lot faster when I file next year.

They now have FREE filing on line

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

On 2/8/2018 at 1:45 PM, Biker56 said:

I don't buy their CD. Have filed with them many years on line.

I used to use TurboTax but went to H&R Block tax programs several years ago. Same price and works about the same. You may want to start the process by checking out the IRS Free File website

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We use our tax accountant who has done our returns and my family's returns for ten years. She is a retired USAF CMsgt and once made a bet with me that she would save me more than any software program so she would do ours for free if we let her keep the difference she saved us after I had done it on TT once. Last time I will ever do that again. I would have paid another 300 bucks or so IIRC.

She also is willing to stand behind her work on my returns.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I used to have to file a 2 states and one thing that Turbo Tax always screwed up was that if it didn't think you had enough deductions to be more than the standard deduction, it would try to default to the standard, but in my case that meant I lost credit for all the taxes I needed to claim that I had paid in the other state. So even though it might make your federal return look better, it will make what you owe the states much higher. Another thing I learned that even if you didn't have enough medical to meet the minimum, even just entering in what you have always made the state look better. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Archived