What is the best brake controller for electric brakes when towing with HDT

mr. cob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy All,

I have SLOWLY been working up the courage to start tearing the Pete, apart, so far I have taken the dash panels that hold the gauges in, out looking for a way to tap into the air application gauge line to supply air pressure to the brake controller.  Taking those panels off convinced me that there was no practical way of taping into that air supply line.  However based on the advice and photos supplied by others, I took on the very intimidating task of starting to remove major dash and under dash panels.  As with any old truck there was the usual mishmash of different headed fasteners and washers to secure long ago broken tabs, but one piece at a time I kept at it. 

I now have the entire lower dash panel assemblies removed and when I removed the last one today behind the brake pedal I found this.  Some sort of air manifold that has the brake light switch and a bunch of other air lines going into or out of it.

IMG_2715-L.jpg

IMG_2716-L.jpg

IMG_2717-L.jpg

It looks like this will be easy to tap into somewhere to supply air to the brake controller, I am "ASSUMING" taping into the air line that comes out of the manifold directly in front of the brake light switch would be the proper place to get air from.

I am trying to get as much done as possible before Brian ( Scrap ) gets involved to do all the heavy lifting, I'll leave all the panels off until the work is done, then hope I can get them all back in place.  I don't know what I would do with out the help and encouragement of the other folks on this web site, ALL the replies, photos , links and tips are most appreciated.  THANK YOU ALL.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 minutes ago, Scrap said:

Atta Boy!  That's all the stuff right there!  Looks like we gotta get you a new clutch pedal pad too....... 

I see some maxi fuses under the brake valve.  That's more of our stuff.  What's that computer module behind them say on it?

Howdy Brian,

I don't know what you mean by "computer module", then again I don't know what they look like.  On the far left side is the fuse box, in the third photo there is some kind of power block, huge wires running into-out of it maybe some kind of circuit breakers or fuses I don't know, these are located in a bracket hung from the firewall behind the parking brake-trailer brake controls.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just purchased the DL-100 today.  Was reduced down to $295.00 and $124.00 for the HD truck module.  They said...Allen from Tuson tech support....because of the age of my truck...1997...he wasn't sure if it would work but if it doesn't I can send it back to Tuson for full refund.  Will keep everyone updated.  Thank you Mark for steering me this way.  This is gonna be good.

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

With Brain's help the Hayes brake controller was installed. It worked but for some reason the little red light stayed constantly ON.  I called and talked to tech support at Hayes, they are sending me a new unit when it arrives and checks out after installation I'll update this thread and post some photos of how it was plumbed, wired and mounted.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived