Tires

Macbow

Tread has nothing to do with MH tires, age is the big factor. Many of us replace our tires at 6-7 years as we don't want any blowout, especially the fronts. There are numerous threads talking about tires. We have been buying Toyo and really like them. You should thank whoever told you to replace them, I feel you are living on borrowed time.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Please join in on any forum and any subject. 

Any tire that is more than 7 years old has a degree of risk that the belt will fail and a blown tire result. Blown tires on RVs often to hundreds of dollars of damage to the RV if they happen at highway speeds.  As the age increases that risk also increases. Most tire manufacturers drop all forms of warranty on their tires at about 7 years of age for that reason. I have never been one to pick the cheapest tire but rather I go with what I believe to be the best and safest tire. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just put 6 new Sailun 275/70R22.5, LR H tires on our MH because the old Goodyears were 9 yrs old. The tire shop said, for commercial trucks there is a 10 yr old limit for their tires, which almost certainly be recaps. I tried to sell my old Goodyears and no commercial truck owner would talk about purchasing them, even for trailer use.

Those Sailun tires, total cost; $1,930 including taxes.

The risk of considerable damage to the MH vastly outweighs discarding tires that appear almost new tread.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Did you read the Warranty on them?

Exclusions
All SAILUN warranties are limited to the original purchaser and the original vehicle on which they are mounted.
Warranties are not assignable to subsequent purchasers or vehicles.
This limited warranty is valid only in Canada.

Any tire used or equipped on a vehicle registered or regularly operated outside Canada is not covered by this warranty.

Warranty PDF

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

39 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

Did you read the Warranty on them?

Your link is to the Canadian site. Here is a different one from the Saliun US site.

Sailun tire warranty

WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS & LIMITATIONS The exclusions & limitations on the applicability of the Limited Warranty set forth in this section & the other Limited Warranties set forth in other sections should be read carefully because they determine whether you are entitled to a warranty replacement or a warranty replacement allowance. The Limited Warranties for the Sailun tire you purchased do not apply, if one of the following conditions applies or the tire failed because: • tires installed on a vehicle registered or normally used outside the United States & Canada • the tire was installed on a commercial or commercial use vehicle (e.g., limousine) • the tire was installed on a recreational vehicle (e.g., camping & Motor homes) • the tire was transferred to another vehicle after it was originally installed • tires installed on a vehicle with a malfunctioning odometer • the tire is branded as “Blemish” or “NA” or the molded DOT number has been removed or disfigured • the tire was repaired in a manner that does not comply with the Rubber Manufacturers Association standards • tires that are a different size than recommended for your vehicle • road hazard, potholes, or collision damage, improper mounting or balancing, vandalism, theft, racing, off-road use, long-term improper storage or other abuse • over & under inflation, overloading, or failure to maintain proper tire pressure • addition of liquids, solids or gases (other than air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide) • ozone or weather cracks or checking occurring four (4) years after the date of purchase or, if that proof is not available, four (4) years after the DOT serial date • vehicle mechanical failures, improper alignment, brake & shock failure, or improperly aligned tires causing “irregular treadwear” (i.e. tread groove depth difference of 2/32nds of an inch or more on the same tire) • the wheel on which the tire is mounted is defective or fails • alteration of tread design to improve traction (e.g., siping) or grinding to improve uniformity, or sidewall inlays • Winter tires must be used during winter months only. These include the months of September through April, defined as a period beginning on or after September 1st of a given year and ending no later than April 30th of the following year

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For less expensive tire brands, also consider pricing Hankook's. The AH11 or AH12 (And I believe they have a new one out now too.), dependent upon tire size, get good reviews and are in the lower costs of the Tier 2/3 tires. 

Good luck to you, 

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

16 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Your link is to the Canadian site. Here is a different one from the Saliun US site.

Sailun tire warranty

Kirk that is the automobile/light truck tire warranty. Sailun sells a S637 16" tire stating on the sidewall "trailer use only". The tire sizes/names are listed first thing. The commercial truck tire warranty is different.

It took me a several hours of searching and reading before I decided to buy Sailun  truck tires for our MH.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The important factor for tires is air pressure. With older tires it is important that they flex as little as possible. Keep them at the upper  three fifths of maximum.  Nitrogen is a way to keep pressure stable.  If you do not want to replace your old tires which have good tread, make sure you get tire "air and temperature monitors" for each wheel.  Old tires will blow out if they get hot or flex too much.   If you want to see another who does not like being told to change parts just because some thing is old, see the movie, "the last Indian."     one of the only things i know of that require changing simply because of age is a charcoal, water filter that is in use.  There is no simple way to test when the charcoal is full of particulates.

23 hours ago, xraydid said:

The important factor for tires is air pressure. With older tires it is important that they flex as little as possible. Keep them at the upper  three fifths of maximum.  Nitrogen is a way to keep pressure stable.  If you do not want to replace your old tires which have good tread, make sure you get tire "air and temperature monitors" for each wheel.  Old tires will blow out if they get hot or flex too much.   If you want to see another who does not like being told to change parts just because some thing is old, see the movie, "the last Indian."     one of the only things i know of that require changing simply because of age is a charcoal, water filter that is in use.  There is no simple way to test when the charcoal is full of particulates.

Welcome! Nitrogen acts virtually like dry air. Pressure  swings are the same. Boyles Law is the reference.

Archived