Hitching up

GlennWest

I may not get back to this post for a while. Fixing to pull out. This is frustrating. Every time I have hooked up with this UltraShift, I bang the pin. You guys got any tips for me. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

I may not get back to this post for a while. Fixing to pull out. This is frustrating. Every time I have hooked up with this UltraShift, I bang the pin. You guys got any tips for me. 

There are a few things which I find help... 1) make sure the clutch is warmed up, I find it will want to grab more (not when I like it to) when it is cold; 2) Be feather light on the accelerator, my Ultrashift starts to move the truck as low as 700rpm, you will need to find the spot yours will start to move; 3) left foot over the brake, this is helpful in two ways, faster response time if I jerk the truck, and can add a little brake if I need to add a little resistance to moving (esp with a cold clutch); 4) a good spotter or camera to see where the pin and head are in relation to the other; Lastly, and I'm assuming you are doing this, make sure your pin height is at head height when you hook up, and not lifting your coach when you do.  Hope this helps.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

It hitches fine. I have a camera at hitch. It's me I know. I get very close and stop. Adjust height of camper to have some weight in hitch. Get back in truck, try to ease into it,  Then bang. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn after you have adjusted the trailer pin to the height you want,  pull out from the trailer a bit more to give yourself some more room to ease the truck to the pin.  A steady speed may dampen the jolt of the connection. I always use foot pressure on the brake pedal as my "speed adjuster" along with steady pressure on the throttle until I am safely connected. You mentioned a camera is it cab mounted or mounted closer to the hitch?

7 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Camera at hitch. On magnet attached to hitch. You leave service brake on? The yellow brake knob? Never tried that. How many rpm it take to over come that?

Opps, should have just said "foot brake pedal" instead of "service brake". I clarified my above post.

Archived