Gentle Rides

castlewood57

I just got word that after my wife's chemo treatments, she went in due to a back issue.  It appears that this may be a result of treatments, (she's doing ok and cancer tests are all showing it is gone), but she has a lower disc that is all but gone, and I worry now about traveling.

Anyone travel that has lower back issues.  I don't want to dump money into anything, HDT, LGT whatever until I find a few other people that may have the issue and said it isn't a big deal.

So.. looking for  suggestions on super soft seats, and something that isn't going to bottom out and place compression issues on her back.

Thanks for help, hope my planning is not for naught...

I have a friend with back issues , they recently fused I think 4 lower and 1 upper and installed a 'cage' around them (lower back) total in surgery 8-9 hours ....... so bad back eh?

He rides in my truck without complaint.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

7 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

I have a friend with back issues , they recently fused I think 4 lower and 1 upper and installed a 'cage' around them (lower back) total in surgery 8-9 hours ....... so bad back eh?

He rides in my truck without complaint.

That's news that I like to hear, she's basically bone on bone, which explains the pains she has had lately.   Yes, she's got the bad back, so I definitely need a kid gloves approach to getting her traveling anywhere.    I know that our Ford Ranger seats didn't help us, those have been torture seats for anything longer than about 20-30 minutes.
Thanks for some positive news. 

yep  bone on bone ,however still a strong man - the climb up into the cab could be a problem for a individual with insufficient upper body strength .

wishing your wife all the best  I know my friend went through a lot of pain until the repair .

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

54 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

yep  bone on bone ,however still a strong man - the climb up into the cab could be a problem for a individual with insufficient upper body strength .

wishing your wife all the best  I know my friend went through a lot of pain until the repair .

I have a solution for the climb. eLO2HYXl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

2 10 inch rods, 3 inch cross member, 10 3 inch screws, and a bunch of chicken wire. Drove 8500 miles this summer in HDT. Could not have done that in the F350. Air ride is way to go. 

I am definitely doing the full air ride, and concur after our F250, that air ride should be a cupcake of a ride.  We started doing some exercises ( swimming so it is super low impact) and that seems to be helping for now.  We are definitely putting in the additional stairs, that was a requirement when I first took her looking, and that is what originally cinched the deal to get an HDT.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:45 PM, castlewood57 said:

I just got word that after my wife's chemo treatments, she went in due to a back issue.  It appears that this may be a result of treatments, (she's doing ok and cancer tests are all showing it is gone), but she has a lower disc that is all but gone, and I worry now about traveling.

Anyone travel that has lower back issues.  I don't want to dump money into anything, HDT, LGT whatever until I find a few other people that may have the issue and said it isn't a big deal.

So.. looking for  suggestions on super soft seats, and something that isn't going to bottom out and place compression issues on her back.

Thanks for help, hope my planning is not for naught...

My mother was in hit by a drunk driver in 1960 and it took almost two hours to cut her out of a 1958 Pontiac her back was broken so badly that it was fused at almost every vert........horribly painful..... Very best ride we found for her was a Full-Air-Ride motor home bar none.....

Unlike HDT trucks the motor home suspension is designed for the narrow range of weight of the motor home so the ride is very very soft much like a mushy 1955 Packard or Caddy....

Wonder down to a couple of big TV lots and take a few test rides you will be amazed how mushy some motor homes ride.......And they have belted massage  recliners she can ride in.....

Worked for mom.....

Drive on.......(mushy ride.....less back pain)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 10/29/2017 at 5:06 AM, Dollytrolley said:

My mother was in hit by a drunk driver in 1960 and it took almost two hours to cut her out of a 1958 Pontiac her back was broken so badly that it was fused at almost every vert........horribly painful..... Very best ride we found for her was a Full-Air-Ride motor home bar none.....

Unlike HDT trucks the motor home suspension is designed for the narrow range of weight of the motor home so the ride is very very soft much like a mushy 1955 Packard or Caddy....

Wonder down to a couple of big TV lots and take a few test rides you will be amazed how mushy some motor homes ride.......And they have belted massage  recliners she can ride in.....

Worked for mom.....

Drive on.......(mushy ride.....less back pain)

I just may have to take her to do some test driving.  I'd like to travel, and she does as well, but seeing the wincing from pain slows down any ideas for big travel unless we get things under control.

Thanks Dollytrolley and everyone else for suggestions as we try to figure out plans.

Archived