Traction control wiring

Stan Wright

Recently I was poking around in my dash and found the wiring and connector for a Traction Control switch tied up to the wiring bundle.  Does anyone know if I got a switch and hooked it up would I have a functional Traction Control switch?  Would it require dealer programming?  I know sometimes options are in place but they aren't ordered or requested so they are hidden away.  For instance, my truck came with a single power plug under the cupholders.  Behind the dash panel was the connector for a second plug that apparently wasn't optioned...now I have two power plugs.

That is for the defeat switch option.  You put in a momentary switch, flick it on, and it'll defeat traction control for 10 min or so.  Flick it within those 10 mins and it'll turn it back on.  Traction control will have a valve on the control port of the rear relay valve if you have it.

8 hours ago, Scrap said:

Oops...on highway trucks...yea that's how it works.  The switch to add is a mud/snow switch.

I don't want any switch that turns on the snow!

Now turning on the sun would be ok.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL only the "connected trucks" can change the weather......<_<

And reading back I was wrong again and made it all more confusing than it needed to be.....  Mud/snow switch changes the ABS.  TCS switch changes the traction control......just like the harness label says.....  But I guess that is the point - installing the switch won't turn it all on, the truck needs to be plumbed and wired for it.

I have the TCS system, it is true that if you don't have the full system optioned into the platform, just hooking up a switch will do nothing.

The system does employ the ABS signals to manipulate the braking forces to the drive wheels, but there is at least one major component that is needed.

On my truck it is located on a cross member at the rear of the frame.

I use the system quite often, when used with chains in snow it will definitely help to keep you moving.

Rick 

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

It appears the answer to my original question is 'No'.  The pins on the Traction Control switch I had didn't match the factory connector wiring so I just applied a ground to the control wire.  When the control wire was grounded the TCS light on the dash would illuminate, but only as long as it was grounded.  My assumption is if the traction control was actually being disabled the light on the dash would stay on.

Archived