Tire size

DavePasch

2 hours ago, Mntom said:

The 235/80 is approximately 30 3/4 inches in diameter and the 235/85 is about 1 inch larger in diameter. I would say you have a real good chance of not having any issue with the 235/85 tire provided they are the proper weight rating..

There are several tire size comparison sites (Google it). - that will give dimensions of tires in *inches*. Enter size you have -vs- tire size you wish to change to.

Also, as Kirk noted - different tire may require higher pressure. Your wheels should be stamped with the pressure they can accommodate (usually in the rear - on the back-side of the rim).

Two other possibilities - depending on the tire brand you wish to use - go to 245/85 which is one inch wider (1/2 inch per side) but the same diameter as the 235/80 - and usually has the same load capacity.  Once again - you need to check for clearance for either a wider (the 245) or taller (the 285) tire.

Apparently Saliun makes a 235/80 tire which has had good reviews. note that it is an ST tire (which *was* formerly an LT tire).  The mfgr changed the designation due to import tariffs on the LTs.

Lastly - spend some time on the Toy Hauler forum on RV net.  lots of good info there, Also search "tires" there (generic search in all forums)..

Roll on!

On 7/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

There are several tire size comparison sites (Google it). - that will give dimensions of tires in *inches*. Enter size you have -vs- tire size you wish to change to.

Also, as Kirk noted - different tire may require higher pressure. Your wheels should be stamped with the pressure they can accommodate (usually in the rear - on the back-side of the rim).

Two other possibilities - depending on the tire brand you wish to use - go to 245/85 which is one inch wider (1/2 inch per side) but the same diameter as the 235/80 - and usually has the same load capacity.  Once again - you need to check for clearance for either a wider (the 245) or taller (the 285) tire.

Apparently Saliun makes a 235/80 tire which has had good reviews. note that it is an ST tire (which *was* formerly an LT tire).  The mfgr changed the designation due to import tariffs on the LTs.

Lastly - spend some time on the Toy Hauler forum on RV net.  lots of good info there, Also search "tires" there (generic search in all forums)..

Roll on!

I solved my tire problems on our 5er by installing 235/80R16  Sailun 16" load range G tires. They are all-position truck tires (speed rating 75mph) per the Sailun website.

Yes they call for higher air pressure on the sidewall, but 80psi will support the same weight whether tires are load range E or G. Aluminum rims have maximum pressure molded into the back side of a spoke, steel rims have it stamped into the rim, which is covered by a mounted tire.

I liked them so well I will install Sailun 22.5" tires on our MH this summer. While most popular in Canada, I've seen many HDT's running them on the steer axle here in the U.S.A.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 7/10/2017 at 10:52 AM, DavePasch said:

Can I go from a set of 235/80R16's to a set of 235/85R16's on a triple axle XLR Thunderbolt?

The difference in the overall width of the 85 tires are not normally going to present a fitment problem. However, most large RV trailers will have triple axle spacing very close to one another and the larger diameter of the 85 tires could cause them to be to close to each other. You could ask the specific axle manufacturer what the minimum clearance requirements are. Dexter says 1”. 

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

Archived