Exercise Truck

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A question or too came to me when I was out exercising the truck. The question is mainly for trucks that have DEF. How often do you exercise your truck ? Once a week ? Twice a month ? How many miles does your exercise last ? Or do you go by time on the road ? Thirty minutes ? Sixty minutes ? Highways or secondary roads ? I know that this is a lot of questions. But I think the answers will be helping out a lot of people besides me. There is more and more DEF trucks on the road. If you want a two pedal truck it will probably have DEF also.

What to you guys think ? This is what happens when I have blank time (exercising truck) on my hands.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Alan,

No DEF but I drive every other week.  I go until I get to operating  temps (~170*) then drive approximately 20 mins after that.  Winter may take a bit longer than summer so personal opinion is do not use a specific time.  As far as DEF, Scrap posted that some crystals will form in the DEF tank but go back into solution when the DEF is heated. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Al,

I run mine if not every week at least every two weeks. After talking to the techs at the local dealers and the one independent that I know very well, they all said the same thing. We take a run on the interstate or I drive it to work (about 25 miles one way) to get it up to temps and remove any moisture in the crankcase.

Besides, it is still enjoyable to me to just get out and drive it around and the dogs love the ride. They start barking when they hear it start up to make sure they aren't left behind.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I don't exercise my truck, but it's never parked more than a month or two between trips. How warm does the oil need to get before the moisture is out of the crankcase? Takes much longer to get the oil up to operating temp than the coolant and sometimes it wont warm up for 50+ miles. Seems like a short trip where the oil doesn't even warm up would do more harm than good.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived