Air Conditioner Problem

We've been having a problem with the air compressor cycling on and off while cooling.  So it takes forever to cool down.  I called a mobile RV mechanic and made an appointment, but one thing he said did not sound right to me.  I mentioned that maybe the unit just needed a recharge and a leak fix, and he said you can't recharge RV AC units, that you have to replace them if they have a leak.  This fellow has excellent YELP reviews, but this didn't sound right to me.  Thoughts?

they can be recharged, best to find the leak and repair, but can be. some leaks may not make it practical to fix  but some leaks from vibration that are accessible are fixable. the need to be evacuated and recharged.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Most Rv AC units do not have the port to recharge them. A good AC guy can cut the line and install the port and recharge the AC and also look for leaks.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

As Ranger Smith notes RV A/C's do not have the charge/recharge ports that are common on home and vehicle systems. While it is possible to cut a line and splice a port in, many technicians won't mess with doing that. 

You could easily have $200 - 300 into such a repair, at which point it is worth considering a unit replacement, especially in an older unit.  But if this is the 2017 316RLS 5th wheel that you've mentioned in previous posts it should still be under warranty, no?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

As a past dealer and long time user I HAVE HAD MORE THEN ONE RV ROOFTOP AC UNIT RECHARGED.  They tapped the line and installed a port and recharged right up on the roof and all was well (for as long as I owned it at least).

HOWEVER that being said its been my experience that if one did leak and such couldn't be found or repaired you may be throwing good money after bad if you install a port and recharge as they can go bad again.  Its the ECONOMICS I now look at. WHY spend say $100 to $200 for a service call and port and recharge if you can buy a brand new likely more energy efficient unit for say $500 to $600 (I'm talkin self install) ???????????????   If I now have one that has too much age and has leaked Freon I'm NOT gonna risk a hundred or two hundred bucks, but instead invest in a new unit BUT ITS YOUR MONEY AND YOUR CHOICE NOT OURS.

Regular maintenance and a thorough cleaning up top can improve performance for sure, but if Murphy is present you likely need MORE then that lol.

John T

10 hours ago, Ranger Smith said:

Most Rv AC units do not have the port to recharge them. A good AC guy can cut the line and install the port and recharge the AC and also look for leaks.

Almost every AC tech that I have used and trusted have advised against adding these port. Every one have told me that the ports will leak and they will not guarantee them. They knew if the unit was to be replaced, I would do it, so they gained nothing from telling me this. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

11 hours ago, charlyhors said:

he said you can't recharge RV AC units, that you have to replace them if they have a leak.

This is true, so far as most RV techs have the equipment and skill set to do. RV a/c units have a sealed unit and in order to recharge one the tech must cut into the system and install the recharge fittings first, then purge the system and recharge it. Very few RV techs have either the equipment or the knowledge to do this, but it is possible if you find the right shop. Finding a shop who knows how and is willing is a major problem. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 hours ago, charlyhors said:

We've been having a problem with the air compressor cycling on and off while cooling.  So it takes forever to cool down.  I called a mobile RV mechanic and made an appointment, but one thing he said did not sound right to me.  I mentioned that maybe the unit just needed a recharge and a leak fix, and he said you can't recharge RV AC units, that you have to replace them if they have a leak.  This fellow has excellent YELP reviews, but this didn't sound right to me.  Thoughts?

Ok first rv ac units do not have a low pressure switch so the compressor will not short cycle if its low on freon, it sounds like it's cycling on the current overload, a bad run cap or start relay will cause that or just a bad compressor.

And yes they can be charged if you know how to do it and have the right tools like I do.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

see if the thermostat is cutting the unit off, air leaking from the blower internally to the return side can cause this exact problem. A weak run capacitor, stopped up or damaged condenser coil also. The only cooling the compressor gets is the return line cooling, if the condenser is stopped up , the return line may not be cold and the compressor will trip out on the  overload thermo-disk in the connection cover of the compressor.

Archived