In the fuel. What is PUC??

Brad & Jacolyn

Hi all. I'm currently in Oregon and I have seen really good diesel prices but the sign says 'contains PUC'. At least I think that is what the letter were. Does anyone know what this is?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

From my diesel forum:

"Here in Oregon, it stands for Public Utilities Commission, and it regulates fuel taxes. If that station sold you fuel at PUC prices (and they shouldn't have if you are driving a private, not for hire, or non-farm vehicle), you are responsible for paying the road taxes.

Around here, you need a PUC card (number) and a log book to show fuel usage. You then pay the road taxes either monthly or quarterly."

Sounds legit.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Spindrift is correct...PUC isn't something that's put INTO the fuel.  It's all about taxes that commercial vehicles pay (or don't pay at the pump).

The PUC price advertised on the boards will be less than what you, as a private individual, pay.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thank you. That is what I needed to know. I did not buy fuel because I had no idea what is was and thought it might be something added to the fuel.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

the signs are misleading to the average driver. I fell for that in ontario oregon once. Said hot damn that flying J has the best fuel price. After pumping 200 gallons found out it was all a lie. The big electric sign said nothing about PUC just diesel $x.xx. Stopped using my eye balls and went back to gas buddy to find the prices and plan fill ups.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Yes, Indiana truck stops sometimes use the "exempt" price to sucker in the unwary.  I've never seen it priced that way other than at truck stops.  And often, the numb skulls who post to gas buddy post that lower price.

Saw diesel for <$2 in Oklahoma last week.  I was almost full at the time.:(

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Oregon is I believe the only state that still charges commercial vehicles for highway usage with a tax that is assessed according to the number of miles traveled, as opposed to the more common method of including some level of state tax levied per gallon at the pump. New Mexico, New Hampshire used to do the same thing. When I started trucking we would fill up in states that  didn't charge fuel tax at the pump. Indiana, Virginia and a couple of others "discount" fuel taxes at the pump to commercial vehicles and then charge you an additional tax when you file your fuel tax report. Kind of sleight of hand deal.

Of course all of this doesn't apply to recreational users. Because of the availability of more and more sophisticated technology (the Apple Iphone celebrated it's 10th anniversary yesterday) with things like transponders already triggering toll collection, there are states that would love to hang a transponder on every vehicle and charge you for the use of every road and vary the tax according to several variable, time of travel, type of vehicle (own a Lexus? you pay more than guy with a Chevy...)etc. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived