Volvo ECM Reprogramming of Fleet Limits? What Values?

RandyA

I did get the opportunity to talk with Gregg during the ECR.  My 1st question was about the "Load Based Speed (or torque) Control" I had been told was part of my D12D programming (Fact or Fiction?).  Gregg immediately sent a text to a befriended engineer at Volvo  asking the question.  Within minutes Gregg got a call back from his friend with the answer - no such program was put into the D12D ECM unless it was a fuel hauling truck.  Mine hauled US Mail in its former life so LBSC proved to be fiction.

As for a list of ECM parameters that we might want to change as RV haulers.  Gregg does have a list of parameters he changes on his trucks - items such as exhaust braking duration and initialization to make the function softer for our lighter loads, a longer period of time the coolant sensor can be without coolant before an engine shut-down occurs (plus others).  His list has the parameter number plus an explanation.  He believes the number should be consistent across the different Volvo engines.  The list is to be made available through David (Nuke-E) in the not to distant future.

As to the situation shared by Charlie where a Volvo tech refused to change some of the shut down parameters on his engine:  Permission for changes of this type must be given by an Engineer at Volvo Central who will approve or disapprove the change.  Answers can take from a few hours to a few days.  Typically, Volvo will not approve changes that can result in engine destruction or present a risk to personal safety.  Charlie and I scratched our heads on that one - our feeling was that a shut-down on a darkened 2-lane road with no shoulder pull off or in the middle of a crowded, fast moving Interstate was more dangerous to personal safety than what Volvo prescribed.  Yes, we realize pressing "ESC" can give a few more seconds before shut down when the alarm goes off, but only for a limited interval after which there is no more "escape".  That is one I believe should be left to my determination.

Anyway, I look forward to David posting Gregg's list and appreciate what both of them said they would provide as an answer to my original question posted here.  The resources and willingness to share information within this group is amazing.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

If the idle shut down is causing irritation, just bump the idle one notch with the cruise rocker.  If its just off idle, it won't shut down. 

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Back in my trucking days it was amazing what a person could get done to a truck by another guy with a laptop and the proper software.  Just saying of course.  CB channel #19 around major truck stop.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I think they are re referring to a setting that basically shuts off the engine if it is left idling for a period of time usually about 5 minutes.  This would comply with a lot of the anti idling laws in a lot of cities.  It can usually be defeating by using the fast idle on the cruise switch.  Unless you are in the extreme north in the winter I don't personally get the issue even then you would probably be using the fast idle anyway.  We are ambassadors for this lifestyle so don't leave your trucks idling excessively and upsetting your neighbors.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived