She said yes...

castlewood57

No... we've been married for a while, we did however look at several models of Volvos and Kenworth trucks, and finally got to go test drive a 780 and she was impressed enough with a bit of window shopping and the test drive to agree that this is worth going for it now. DW finishes up with chemotherapy treatments next year, get some things fixed and paid off, and then we get to start really shopping. It's been a tough 6 months staying positive, we have had a few scares but things are getting better now, and we can look forward to getting past treatments and getting back to normal, again. Well at least back to our normal. Hope everyone is enjoying some downtime in December. We drop to mid teens next week and single digit temps overnight. Looking forward to reading more posts learning, and hopefully get to the midwest HDT rally in October of 2017 or 2018.

congrats and we hope all goes well with the Chemo. You could also come to TN in April to the East coast HDT rally if you need to get somewhere warmer.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

congrats and we hope all goes well with the Chemo. You could also come to TN in April to the East coast HDT rally if you need to get somewhere warmer.

Dave

Thanks, We'd love to do go to it, but DW will be working on getting some time built back up before any long vacations - and from South Dakota TN would be a long vacation... besides I wouldn't want to go back!

No... we've been married for a while, we did however look at several models of Volvos and Kenworth trucks, and finally got to go test drive a 780 and she was impressed enough with a bit of window shopping and the test drive to agree that this is worth going for it now. DW finishes up with chemotherapy treatments next year, get some things fixed and paid off, and then we get to start really shopping. It's been a tough 6 months staying positive, we have had a few scares but things are getting better now, and we can look forward to getting past treatments and getting back to normal, again. Well at least back to our normal. Hope everyone is enjoying some downtime in December. We drop to mid teens next week and single digit temps overnight. Looking forward to reading more posts learning, and hopefully get to the midwest HDT rally in October of 2017 or 2018.

Good luck and wish you both the best. My wife is a cancer survivor.

I agree 110% not to mention the safety factor......... I don't think she will win this battle!! :ph34r:

This is what convinced my wife into going with the HDT. We were right at the max towing capacity of our dually. A medium duty was not worth the extra cost to gain a few thousand lbs. of towing capacity. I told her that their safety was more important than anything else. She was right on board with that.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

Congrats!! Mine is now trying to talk me into a one ton dually........... :huh:

Whoa, I guess to help ease and keep an open mind - make sure you show tow ratings etc. The safety should be a clincher I would think, way easier to stop a trailer with a big truck than hoping all the braking system works on the trailer.

Don't forget to add all those fun weight extras in the trailer too, not just empty weight, margins get tight if you have anything decent sized.

Good luck and hopefully she'll see the light. I hit my DW with two facts, first - any pickup truck we'd purchase we'd have to replace fairly soon with the toy haulers we're looking at, and second - a good used tractor that should be good for more miles than we'll ever get out of it is cheaper than a new truck. The last one is what did the trick. A final note she talked with a co-worker who hauls his racing trailer to events, and he upgraded. I think that one was the final check and green light.

Good luck!

Archived