Oregon Health Insurance

Twotoes

I will write more about this one of these days under the Health Care topic but one of things that may be on the table but that Trump has not yet opined on would be to allow a Medicare buy-in for those between 55 and 64. This would give us a reliable nation wide option. I hope the legislative advocacy group would consider forming a subgroup that I and others interested in this issue could serve on....Zulu----others--you in????

Dave and Lana Hasper

Wow. I didn't mean to start a major controversy over who know insurance best. Sorry everyone. And thanks Greg for all your help. Further research have told me that Oregon can tax my rental income from Calif. I am not going to pay Oregon income tax on income not earned in state so I guess I will have re-think TX and SD health insurance options.

You didn't start anything. It was a carryover from another forum. Sorry you had to witness it. On to better things.

I cannot blame you a bit for not wanting your rental income to be taxed. Personally I loathe income taxes. It was one reason why l moved my family and business to Washington state, even though my heart will always be in Oregon. There could be an nationwide option that is suitable for you and others in this predicament. It will be announced around November 15 on the Escapee/RVer Insurance Exchange site.

Another option is changing your domicile to Florida, especially if you need an ACA plan and are eligible for subsidies.

Greg

Greg, I want to make clear I did not say I would go to Zulu with questions on PPO availability as a dig at you. I think you folks are doing a good job. I just know he has spent time looking at options in various states.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Greg, I want to make clear I did not say I would go to Zulu with questions on PPO availability as a dig at you. I think you folks are doing a good job. I just know he has spent time looking at options in various states.

Thank you Dave, but I was not offended in the slightest. I fully recognize Zulu has spent time researching this issue and I trust his analysis.

I think the Medicare buy in is an interesting idea. I look forward to your thoughts on the matter. Mine are incomplete...except to say that I suspect a buy in would be quite expensive. Medicare seems inexpensive because recipients have been "buying in" their working lives.

Greg

Is the Oregon six month residency rule obscure? Apparently not, since it's listed on the Oregon DMV website.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/driverid/residency.aspx

Thank you for the link. Notice that the qualifying statement says, "say yes to ANY of the following questions..." The last question is, " Do I pay any resident Oregon income taxes?"

It seems that the six month stay is one of many qualifying factors but not one into itself. That would explain why Dave and Diane and other full-time RVers are perfectly legal to stay less than six months in Oregon and still maintain residency. Same is true for my wife...a classic rainbird.

Greg

Also see the FAQs at the link and also the Oregon domicile form:

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/7182fill.pdf

If you reside in Oregon, and need to provide proof that you are a resident of or domiciled in Oregon, a true copy of your Oregon permanent or part-year income tax return filed with the Oregon Department of Revenue for the previous tax year is acceptable proof with this form. If you filed as a part-year resident the income tax return must show that you resided in Oregon at the end of that tax year. If you do not have a copy of your income tax return, you may provide two or more of the following documents with this form:

• A property tax record, utility bills, rent receipts, a lease or rental agreement or other document that shows you reside in Oregon;

• Enrollment records or other documentation that you are attending an educational institution maintained by public funds and pay resident tuition fees;

• Motel, hotel, campground or recreational vehicle park receipts showing that you currently reside in Oregon and have remained in Oregon for six consecutive months or more;

• A statement dated within the last 60 days from a relief agency or shelter that you have no actual residence, but currently receive assistance in Oregon;

• Fuel receipts, motel receipts, or other documents showing you have lived in Oregon for at least six of the last twelve months.

• Documents showing you have a current account at a bank or credit union in Oregon and the account has been open for 60 days or more;

• A document showing receipt of public assistance from an agency of the State of Oregon dated within the last twelve months; or

• An Oregon voter registration card.

2008 Newmar KGDB with dual desk setup and 55" HDTV - for sale soon
2020 Advanced-RV Mercedes Sprinter van - on order
past full-timer for 8 yrs, now-seasonal

<p><p>Also see the FAQs at the link and also the Oregon domicile form:http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/7182fill.pdf If you reside in Oregon, and need to provide proof that you are a resident of or domiciled in Oregon, a true copy of your Oregon permanent or part-year income tax return filed with the Oregon Department of Revenue for the previous tax year is acceptable proof with this form. If you filed as a part-year resident the income tax return must show that you resided in Oregon at the end of that tax year. If you do not have a copy of your income tax return, you may provide two or more of the following documents with this form:[/size]

• A property tax record, utility bills, rent receipts, a lease or rental agreement or other document that shows you reside in Oregon;
  • Enrollment records or other documentation that you are attending an educational institution maintained by public funds and pay resident tuition fees;
  • Motel, hotel, campground or recreational vehicle park receipts showing that you currently reside in Oregon and have remained in Oregon for six consecutive months or more;
  • A statement dated within the last 60 days from a relief agency or shelter that you have no actual residence, but currently receive assistance in Oregon;
  • Fuel receipts, motel receipts, or other documents showing you have lived in Oregon for at least six of the last twelve months.
  • Documents showing you have a current account at a bank or credit union in Oregon and the account has been open for 60 days or more;
  • A document showing receipt of public assistance from an agency of the State of Oregon dated within the last twelve months; or
  • An Oregon voter registration card.
Ok....so how does this common scenario fit into the equation? As you probably know, you can only buy health insurance during open enrollment, from November through January. Outside of open enrollment, you can only buy it with a qualifying event, like a move across state lines. In that event, you have 60 days to purchase a new plan or you're out to lunch. So a family moves from California to Oregon and are eligible for ACA subsidies. They go on the healthcare.gov website and the question is asked, "are you a resident of Oregon?" What should they say that fits within the parameters you listed? They can't wait six months....or even two months.

Greg

Ok....so how does this common scenario fit into the equation? As you probably know, you can only buy health insurance during open enrollment, from November through January. Outside of open enrollment, you can only buy it with a qualifying event, like a move across state lines. In that event, you have 60 days to purchase a new plan or you're out to lunch. So a family moves from California to Oregon and are eligible for ACA subsidies. They go on the healthcare.gov website and the question is asked, "are you a resident of Oregon?" What should they say that fits within the parameters you listed? They can't wait six months....or even two months.

I don't think that kind of question is ever asked to sign up for the ACA, Greg. See the paper ACA Application Form -- page 1, "Home address (leave blank if you don't have one").

While Oregon may have its own residency requirements for state services, I don't think those requirements apply for the ACA health insurance, a federal program. For example, homeless people in any state can sign up for an ACA plan.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I don't know the answers to your questions, but if I were in your shoes as a professional selling Oregon health insurance, I would sure find out the answers before giving any potential clients advise concerning Oregon residency requirements.

Well finding answers to these questions is easier said than done. I suspect there are different standards for different purposes in determining residency. I KNOW that is true in Michigan. I agree with the analysis on the 60 day requirement and suspect the standard is intent to reside but that is an educated guess. If you are not getting subsidies than you really just need to worry about the insurance companies interpretation of the requirements.

Dave and Lana Hasper

If you move to the state for employment and rent an apt or rent/buy a house, then there's normally no question about residency and normally you have x days to become a resident. If you look at the Domicile FAQs, the six months residency requirements seem to be geared toward the mobile lifestyle. I.E. RV campground fees, motel and hotel bills, etc.,

The above is just my opinion/interpretation and may not be correct.

If you are not getting subsidies than you really just need to worry about the insurance companies interpretation of the requirements.

True. Sorry misread your post. If an insurance company finds out you're not a true resident of a state, then you're likely liable to pay the money back you received from them. If it's a small amount they won't bother with it likely, but large amounts are a different story.

No saydriver. Insurance is a contractual agreement. I am not suggesting lying to them but getting their interpretation up front as it is the most important one. They do not need to use Oregon's interpretation of residency but someone does need to find out exactly what interpretation they are using. The goal of the ACA is for people to be insured and for their to be no gaps in the insurance so I would lean toward saying you need to apply within 60 days of getting to Oregon rather than waiting 66 months and being determined ineligible but the insurance companies understanding of the requirement is the most important.

Dave and Lana Hasper

No saydriver. Insurance is a contractual agreement. I am not suggesting lying to them but getting their interpretation up front as it is the most important one. They do not need to use Oregon's interpretation of residency but someone does need to find out exactly what interpretation they are using. The goal of the ACA is for people to be insured and for their to be no gaps in the insurance so I would lean toward saying you need to apply within 60 days of getting to Oregon rather than waiting 66 months and being determined ineligible but the insurance companies understanding of the requirement is the most important.

I never said you have to wait 6 months to apply for health insurance, but by reading Oregon's domicile FAQs, I do believe they expect you to be in the state 6 months a year to maintain residency, if a domicile is the only way you can prove residency.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but if I were in your shoes as a professional selling Oregon health insurance, I would sure find out the answers before giving any potential clients advise concerning Oregon residency requirements.

I don't give people advice regarding domiciling. I tell them what's in various states and advise them to "do diligence." If I were to advise someone, for Oregon where I have the most experience, I'd tell them to proceed with enrollment.....if they have an established address. Federal law, like ACA, supersedes state law. As Zulu pointed out, a homeless person can apply and immediately qualify for Medicaid. Secondly, I've never seen an insurance company ever challenge somebody's address. I have many clients who snowbird or RV.

Greg

I don't think that kind of question is ever asked to sign up for the ACA, Greg. See the paper ACA Application Form -- page 1, "Home address (leave blank if you don't have one").

While Oregon may have its own residency requirements for state services, I don't think those requirements apply for the ACA health insurance, a federal program. For example, homeless people in any state can sign up for an ACA plan.

Thanks for this form....never seen it before. I always use the online form so that my client can immediately determine eligibility and choose a plan, if ready. I'm certain the questions of address and residency must be answered or the process comes to a grinding halt. Same is true for a plethora of other questions. All the ducks must be in a row. It is the government ya know. :-)

Greg

I've never seen an insurance company ever challenge somebody's address.

Greg

I've seen it done. I've seen fraud from members and also providers. I actually worked for a health insurance company for 28+ years and had lots of experience dealing with Utilization Review, Claims Review(QA), Membership, and Actuarial.

Thank you for the link. Notice that the qualifying statement says, "say yes to ANY of the following questions..." The last question is, " Do I pay any resident Oregon income taxes?"

It seems that the six month stay is one of many qualifying factors but not one into itself. That would explain why Dave and Diane and other full-time RVers are perfectly legal to stay less than six months in Oregon and still maintain residency. Same is true for my wife...a classic rainbird.

Greg

If you move into the state and want a "continuous driver" drivers license, I believe that is when the 6 months residency clicks in.

BTW - a state has to have some way to generate funds to provide services it's citizens want. Oregon went the income tax way, Washington the sales tax way. Sales taxes are regressive, hit the poor harder. Income tax are set up to give low earners a break since those are the ones who spend almost all of their income on goods and services where they live.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If you move into the state and want a "continuous driver" drivers license, I believe that is when the 6 months residency clicks in.

The term is "continuous traveler" for those who might want to Google it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived