Looking for advice on this list for starting out

lalucoo

Greetings, full-timers. I'm reaching 30 and have come to a place in my life where mobile living would best suit me. I have areas of work as an artisan-freelancer and am primarily looking to make myself more mobile for the sake of networking and getting back to nature.

I have plans on renovating an RV for my artistic needs and would like to outfit it to meet the bare-minimum requirements of human survival and comfort.

That said, below is my rough preparation list. I'm looking at Toyota Dolphins in various states/conditions. I think I would have a better idea of what I should invest in if I had a more complete idea of my needs, including interior remodeling. I'm hoping some of you could look it over and tell me, from your experience, what I'm missing from this list or if there's considerations I haven't thought of. If you know of any good brands or combination of parts that go well together, I'd love to hear them.

Needs:
*Enough electricity for laptop computing, LED lights, and general device charging- which types of generators/alternator/solar panels are best?
*Heat: portable space/cabin heater (marine/house boat models?)
*Cooking: Potable electric stove or solar cooker
*Inside planter fixture for growing microgreens
*Wallspace for custom canvas/convertable (drafting)table
*Headspace for standing
*Minimal storage, shelves/cabinetry for art supplies, food, clothes, etc.
*Water tank: secured Xgl container of water (separate or attached filter for drinking) secured to a small basin or with tap.
*General vehicle supplies: spare tire, tools, AAA
*General camping supplies: hatchet, fire starter, med kit, knives, batteries, flashlights, rope.
*Toilet: Camp ground/gas stations or bucket of saw dust?

Welcome! The Toyota Dolphin is a small Class C (if I'm thinking correctly). They are also up there in years so before buying, have the mechanics checked over thoroughly, including the tire dates. Having to buy new tires immediately is a big cost and it might be a negotiating tool. RV tires should be replaced in 5-7 years.

It will have minimal storage space and when full-timing keep in mind that you will be taking everything with you that you might use daily in your home. You also will have added art supplies and a drafting table. You said you need wall space and room for a planter fixture. Naturally, I don't know how much space you will need but I would think a Dolphin would be too small. You will be able to stand in any RV you purchase.

Many of the things you're concerned about are standard on a RV such as heat (there will be a furnace); stove (there will be a built-in stove/oven and perhaps microwave; water (there will be a holding tank for general water use at the kitchen sink, bathroom sink/shower and toilet). You'll have a toilet with a black water holding tank so no need to use a bucket. When the tank gets nearly full you drive to a dump station (most campgrounds have one) and dump the tank along with the grey water tank (the water used in the kitchen and bathroom). A filter on the kitchen sink would be good and also use a filter on your water intake when you fill the tank. Before using the RV you should sanitize the tank because buying used you don't know what that inside of the tank looks like. It's done by adding a small amount of bleach to the tank of water and letting it sit for a few hours. Taking a drive would mix it up good. Google for the method.

Most likely there will be a generator onboard. If not, you'll have to carry a small one - Honda or Coleman are good brands. Don't buy a huge industrial one. They are extremely noisy and your neighbors won't like it and it would also be difficult to handle. Also, if you stay in RV parks there will be electric for you to plug into so you won't need supplemental. If you plan on boondocking a lot solar is nice as it constantly generates electricity and is noise-free but it's also expensive depending how many panels you would need. If you need to buy a generator then compare its cost with solar and it might even out. Generators are expensive, too.

Internet/phone connections can be expensive. It's best to have your own hot spot. Don't rely on RV park wifi systems as they aren't reliable and they're not meant to do downloads or streaming. It's meant for quick emailing and fast searches.

Some things you haven't mentioned are: What state do you plan to domicile? Since you're young you will need medical insurance and nowadays this can be costly. You'll also need a plan you can travel with. Right now, Florida is the best for this but it seems to change constantly. That doesn't mean you have to stay in Florida, It just means that's where you want to establish a mail forwarding address to get your driver's license, registration, voter card, etc.

If the Dolphin seems too small after re-thinking about it and you didn't say what kind of vehicle you have now, but you might consider getting a truck to haul a small 5th wheel or travel trailer. Then you'd have a vehicle to get around and you'd have more space.

If you're planning to be in northern states in the winter or the Deep South in summer, RVs are really not meant for those temperature extremes. You can add some things to make it warmer/cooler but it's not ideal. You'll want to stay in moderate climates, if possible.

Best of luck to you. It can be done but you have a lot of thinking to do!

Here are some good checklists for supplies, etc:

http://blog.goodsam.com/rv-travel-checklists

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome! You really don't give us much about yourself or your plans to be able to give very solid advice. Reading your list I'll guess that you have no knowledge of RVs since the Dolphins all came with stove, furnace, water and waste tanks, toilet, bed, and dinette. You have not shared with us anything about how or where you plan to stay with the RV and you suggest one that has not been built in about 35 years. National RV stopped building the on Toyota in 1990 but Winnebago continued to build on it into the mid 90's That means that you won't find a lot of them available and most will either have been restored or they will be hardly serviceable. Probably the best information source I know of for them would be Toyota Motorhomes website.

We will be happy to respond to any questions that you may have, so please do not hesitate to post new ones!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you for all of that, you two! Allow me to clarify:

I mean to make as much floor space as possible in whichever vehicle I get my hands on. I'm aware RVs come with most of the components I've listed, but I don't need a bathroom, I seriously would be okay with a contained bucket and/or nearby facilities. It helps that most of my diet consists of steamed vegetables and tea, so at most a compact refrigeration system or weekly trips to a local farmers market would replace an entire dinette. The marine heater to replace a heavier, possibly more demanding furnace system. I would prefer to fit it with as many solar panels as the budget would allow, as I do plan on "boondocking" frequently, so electricity is important. Bathing requirements are rather low too, with a secured container of about 20gl of water, I could bird bath with a cloth and pot of warm water. For this reason, a small camper stove would be an ideal cookset, electric is only another alternative depending on any solar/power advice someone may have.

States of interest: Oregon, Washington, Maine, Florida, and Colorado. I'll try to plan my visits around the extreme weather seasons. I'm originally from Florida, so it wouldn't be a problem to register it there while visiting.

A friend originally turned me on to the Toyota Dolphin due to it's size and (in his opinion) ease to find parts/fix. I see now I'll have to keep looking! Ideally I'm looking for something as compact as the Nissan NV2500 (with extended roof!), however buying those newer vehicles- even used- start at about 15k. It would be nice to have big windows, like on a bus or a cargo van to attach a planter (like a small window sill tray or box) and the cabin attached for privacy and convenience. The overhead sleeping area for RVs makes it hard to really pull the trigger on a van or bus conversion. Modifying and integrating what's already there would be the most cost effective- like the dining area into the studio space or bedroom area into storage.

I don't need a bathroom, I seriously would be okay with a contained bucket and/or nearby facilities.

While it may work to use toilet facilities in places you visit, I think that you need to try your bucket approach at home before you remove the existing one from any RV that you might buy. There are many problems associated with this idea, disposal of the contents being key since few places exist today that allow such disposal.

I would prefer to fit it with as many solar panels as the budget would allow, as I do plan on "boondocking" frequently, so electricity is important.

On solar electricity, the amount of electricity generated is not only a factor of available sunlight but it is also dependent upon the square footage of solar panels and the small RVs do not have enough roof to allow for much electricity generation. Most true boondocking areas will have no toilets, water source, or electrical sources and that same thing will be true for parking lot camping or most other locations where dry camping is available.

The overhead sleeping area for RVs makes it hard to really pull the trigger on a van or bus conversion.

I assume by this you mean a class C motorhome like the Toyota based ones? Most other types of RV do not have overhead bunks although a few class A units offer them but I've not seen such in any travel trailer or fifth wheel.

For this reason, a small camper stove would be an ideal cookset, electric is only another alternative depending on any solar/power advice someone may have.

Electricity to cook & heat with is not practical for even the larger RVs that have solar panels over the entire roof. With a small RV you will have very limited solar capability and even the largest class A motorhomes and fifth wheels do not have an unlimited power supply.

buying those newer vehicles- even used- start at about 15k.

You need to do a lot more research. With a budget of less than $15k you will have a challenge to find any motorized RV that is in reliable condition for travel and living. Solar panels and the required controls are not inexpensive and any modifications that you need to hire done will also be expensive. I never like to discourage anyone who is looking at joining the RV community, but you are courting disaster unless you do a great deal more research and planning. I strongly suggest that you do some reading of books on the subject of the RV lifestyle and perhaps visit websites of contributors here which can usually be found from links that are in the signature lines of the author posting. Please do allow us to be a part of your research and education as you move forward and do not be discouraged but take advantage of the assistance, advice, and support that the Escapees can offer. There is nothing wrong with your goal, but you do need to take some time and learn how to get this done and what to budget for success. The more information that you share the better we will be able to help.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You might look into a truck with fiver/5th wheel with garage on the back. Use the living quarters as designed, and convert the garage area to your specific needs.

Take sometime to research on this site, and others, the what State of Domicile could mean to you. (Taxes, health care, etc.) This could be different then the states that you might be interested in visiting. On key thing for your age, is to consider the the ramifications of Pre 65 Health Care Costs. While traveling in various states, having coverage is important, so PPO's tend to be the preferred Health Insurance. Currently this means Florida and possibly (Things are changing yearly in this arena!) Texas, might be could Domicile States to consider.

And finally, if making income in these states you intend to visit, understand the ramifications and complexities to your Income Tax filing. Each state you make income, could require the filing of a State Income Tax.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

To get an idea of prices and what you can buy, monitor this site. Note that it has a section for every type of RV - Class A motorhomes, Class B and Class C's and trailers.

For Class Cs there are a couple for $13,000.

I would really recommend that you don't gut the RV of the kitchen and bathroom. Even though you seem to live a very simple life, it would be a lot more comfortable for you (and possible guests) and dealing with weather issues (cold/rain/winds, etc.) that cooking indoors will be handy. Also, if you happen to get sick, recouping with some conveniences of a bathroom and kitchen would be a big plus. If things don't work out as planned, you couldn't sell it as an RV without the kitchen/bathroom.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classc/class-c-motorhomes.php

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

From what you say, I suspect you would be happiest with a fiberglass egg trailer. Check out http://rvsueandcrew.net and http://www.interstellarorchard.com to see how a couple singles use their systems. These systems are not easy to modify, though, so your drafting table might be a problem unless you can afford to do a custom build.

Otherwise it sounds like you may want a high top van conversion. To learn more about those I highly recommend you check out http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/.

You do have to be pretty minimalist to live in either but it sounds like you are open to that.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Kirk: I've taken your advice to consideration and found a truck camper that encompasses pretty much everything you mentioned. My reply to 2Gypsies below explains why I quoted myself with a particular budget, but really- there are people making tiny homes on wheels out there for less than $15k, my goal is start with something already made and make changes to adhere to that kind of economic trade-off. We'll see what happens.

Sandsys: Great recommendation! I googled a few different egg trailers and truck campers. I think that what I'm looking for most is a truck bed camper, actually. It's removable and I get to keep the vehicle if I end up selling the camper- it's also one piece (not hitched)! I've bookmarked the sites and will be diving into them a bit deeper.

2Gypsies: I'll keep that in mind and my eyes peeled! Most of the people in my immediate surroundings tend to go for the cheapest they can buy and convinced me that anything above 10k used isn't worth the asking price (less they modded it pretty heavily). I forgot to mention, the kind of vehicle I have now is a tiny Scion xA. It's not really mine though, it's a shared household vehicle registered under someone else's name. So really I'm trying to weigh the option of buying a truck and camper vs the price of an RV. Like I mentioned below to Smitty though, I think I found a big worthy option! I'll have to investigate it and it's compatible trucks.

Smitty: I took a look at your recommendation and discovered a much tinier option along the way: http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/650 without the couch and table, this would be perfect! Sans couch, that would be a great space for my dress form and I could always have a foldable table to store and take out when I'm not driving.

I really don't know where I intend to domicile. A huge part of me wants to work 6 months in the states and 6 months out. My father's an expat and I've experienced that kind of living before. I would like to see what Washington is like, however, before I completely give up on the US. Only one way to find out and this is it! I primarily want to coast WWOFing on farms and applying for internships and workshops for more skill-based learning around the country. I haven't had health care since I turned 18. I understand it as a necessity, but it's a tricky ground I'm still researching.

Based on what you've been saying, it seems like you are really a minimalist kind of individual. You should just buy yourself a cheap cargo van, Ford or GMC, and fix it up yourself. The only thing I would pay for is someone to do the electrical. That isn't something to mess with, unless you really know what you are doing.

For boondocking, nothing beats a van in my opinion. They are small enough to go just about anywhere except bad Class II roads and Class III roads.

I would rather live like a lion for a day, than live like a sheep for one hundred years.

I do believe that bathroom and kitchen features are required in order for a vehicle to be classified, titled and licensed as an rv. You may want to check into that.

I also would never rip out the bathroom and kitchen as there are some days it is just to stormy to be outside, to cold and windy and downright miserable, and yes, there are days like that even in the south.

For me I'll keep the comforts that came with my rv.

Pat DeJong

The main downside to a truck camper is the very limited storage space. Most people can barely fit in life necessities and you want to add your work stuff. That's why I suggested an egg trailer--you can store a lot in the tow vehicle. You might want to start gathering what you want to take and see how much room that will require and how much it all weighs. We did that and found it very enlightening.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

No matter what used RV you are buying, whether or not you are using an inspector, make sure you do the following. It could just save your life!

1. Check the manufacture date of the Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector (on the back). They are good for 5 years only. If in doubt replace. Some rigs don't have one. Be sure yours does. Use only those units approved by UL for RV Use.

2. Check the LP Detector. They are good for 5 years from manufacture date (on the back). Replace if in doubt. Find it close to the floor. Use only those units approved by UL for RV Use. Suggest a combined unit LP and CO

3. Smoke Detector. Good for 10 years. The new Smoke/Fire detectors, approved by UL for RV Use, at about $19.00 would be ideal.

4. Change the batteries on all battery operated detectors.

5. Open the emergency window(s). Make sure you CAN get out in an emergency.

These are all life safety issues we find when doing inspections. New LP and CO Detecotrs have End Of Life (EOL) alarms. You cannot turn off the alarm. UL Requirement. People are cutting the wires or removing the batteries to silence the alarm. Check your TODAY.

Please post when you find you have an issue to encourage others to check their rigs.

Geoff Baker

"Protecting Your Dream"

www.InspectRV.com

(484) 432-9002

Certified RV Inspector

Member, NRVIA

Escapees, FMCA

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095

Archived