Berring buddies

Yeti

I just had to replace an axle on my 5th wheel because of the berrings went on one side. Do berrings buddies work? Are they worth it? If I use them will I need to repack my berrings every year?

Skip the bearing buddies as folks have said.

Repacking every year is your best option, use good quality grease and check all the parts as you remove and clean them. If you are seeing that everything is in good shape you might bump the repack interval to two years but don't skip giving everything a good inspection annually.

We just picked a park with nice weather and did one wheel a day, made for an easy project unless we had to get a replacement part but that was rare.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The trailer was 2 years old. I was on my way to camping world in NJ to have the berrings repacked when the berrings burnt out. Fifteen miles from camping world. I did use berring buddies years ago on a boat trailer without breaks. I think I will go with repacking the berrings every year and not use berrings buddies.

Good choice! Occasionally lack of grease is not the root of the problem. Axle nut torque-or lack thereof- has been known to cause bearing failure too. There is a prescribed procedure for greasing bearings,

and one for tightening the axle nut.

FYI, the top 3 axle manufacturers state wheel bearings should be inspected and repacked annually or every 10,000 miles. Dexter even says their EZ-lube bearings should be removed and inspected at the same interval.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I filled a brake drum full of grease several years ago via a Bearing Buddy. As frustrating as that was it was largely a result of 'user error' they are handy when they work and you will know if you ever lose a seal because the old grease won't come out. I guess what I'm saying is they messed up mainly because I messed up, I don't hold the product responsible. YMMV

pugsly, I have the same unit and I love it. Good for finding hot bearings but also for finding cold spots in the RV, checking the AC cooling, propane tank levels and other RV tasks.

It is also excellent for use with the cat, not only can you see how warm he is, the laser provides exercise for the lazy critter and entertainment for you. Ear plugs (not provided in the kit) are recommended to dampen spousal screams to quit tormenting the cat and fraying her nerves. Also works on the neighbor's cat through the screen door, but you didn't hear that from me. :-)

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

What you want is EZ-lube or Accu-lube axles. They will have a zerk in the end of the axle and a grease cup with a rubber seal. This will allow you to grease from the back of the bearing and discard the old grease as it come to the front.

Inspection and repack is simple: jack it up spin the wheel, then stop it and and shake it. If there is no rumble, and no slop, just run fresh grease into it, remove old grease and press on.

2006 Renegade/Freightliner Coronado 43', Detroit, twin screw, 12spd

What you want is EZ-lube or Accu-lube axles. They will have a zerk in the end of the axle and a grease cup with a rubber seal. This will allow you to grease from the back of the bearing and discard the old grease as it come to the front.

Inspection and repack is simple: jack it up spin the wheel, then stop it and and shake it. If there is no rumble, and no slop, just run fresh grease into it, remove old grease and press on.

Per the Dexter website, simply spinning a wheel is not inspection:

"E-Z LUBE - What is the E-Z Lube option?

The E-Z Lube option was designed specifically for the marine application where the axles are constantly being immersed in water. This feature provides a convenient method for purging the water from the hub cavity without having to pull the hub every time. The hubs should be removed every 12 months or 12,000 miles to inspect the bearings and it is imperative to replace the seal at this time to assure that the grease does not leak out the back onto the brake linings rendering the brakes non-functional."

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived