Need to remove rear air bags

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I need to remove the air lines on the rear air bags so I can remove the bags from a 2012 Volvo VNL. I am familiar with two styles of fasteners that are used on air lines. This is the first time that I have seen this style. There is a plastic round sleeve about 1" long that is attached to the top of the bag and the air line goes thru this sleeve. Does this sleeve thread on the air bag ? I do not want to do any thing dumb and mess up this sleeve. What tool would I need to do the job ?

Thank for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

This type of connector should be similar to the push type fittings you can get at the big box home stores for water and air lines for pex and similar flex lines. But better quality.

To release the fitting, push the collar in with a special tool or use an open ended wrench the same size as the hose. The collar slides into the fitting, releasing the air line.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Hi Everyone,

I have tried to move the collars and they will not move. I do not want to put channel locks on the collars because the channel locks will chew up the collars. How would you go after this job ?

Al

Hi Everyone,

I have tried to move the collars and they will not move. I do not want to put channel locks on the collars because the channel locks will chew up the collars. How would you go after this job ?

Al

I had the same problem on an air tank. I have a Canadian truck. So I am guessing the fittings were exposed to a slurry of salt, dirt, rain and slush. I sprayed some Rislone on the collars. After two days of "soaking" the collar slipped forward with no problem.

I had the same problem on an air tank. I have a Canadian truck. So I am guessing the fittings were exposed to a slurry of salt, dirt, rain and slush. I sprayed some Rislone on the collars. After two days of "soaking" the collar slipped forward with no problem.

Refuzn, Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

Al

Refuzn, Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

Al

BTW -- The brass collar was so corroded that the it was amazing that the I did not have a larger leak. As I recall, I posted a picture on the forum . . . if only I could remember where. :unsure:

Also, somewhere on the forum, Mr. Seas did a fabulous write up about replacing O-rings and collars, complete with the part numbers. I purchased the O-rings and collars for the different hose diameter and keep them in my spare parts kit.

Archived