Autoshift clutch

Stan Wright

I test drove a first generation Autoshift today. The clutch was very stiff! Much more than the 13-speed I tried earlier this week. Do Autoshifts normally have a stiff clutch, or is it something that varies from truck to truck? Other than the stiff clutch I liked the Autoshift. There's no way my better half could work a clutch that stiff, though. I might have to narrow the search to 2-pedal trucks.

I am no expert on this, but I can say that I would not want anything much harder to depress than the clutch in my Gen 2 Autoshift. I understand there is another option called something like an EZ Clutch. It is supposed to be easier to press. If I ever replace my clutch I plan to look into that option. For now I can deal with the clutch I have.

A third option is to rig a clutch assistance device as at least one member of the forum has done. You will find a project by Sibernut Air Assisted Clutch in the Resource Guide.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I am no expert on this, but I can say that I would not want anything much harder to depress than the clutch in my Gen 2 Autoshift. I understand there is another option called something like an EZ Clutch. It is supposed to be easier to press. If I ever replace my clutch I plan to look into that option. For now I can deal with the clutch I have.

A third option is to rig a clutch assistance device as at least one member of the forum has done. You will find a project by Sibernut Air Assisted Clutch in the Resource Guide.

Jim

I'm installing the air assist clutch on my 10 speed this fall, already have the parts. My trans is very different than Sibenuts, so I will be sure to post pics.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

I'm installing the air assist clutch on my 10 speed this fall, already have the parts. My trans is very different than Sibenuts, so I will be sure to post pics.

I'd love to see pictures!

My 13 speed came with a air over hydraulic. It's so easy to depress. Of course, I only use it when I start and stop.

Any idea why Mark's 2004 Volvo came with an air assisted clutch and Jeff's 2004 Volvo didn't? Is it a factory option?

.............Or the Volvo 9 speed trans.

In the write up, I think I mentioned several ways to get that cylinder. It is on many Volvo transmissions, not just the ones on HDT's. If I didn't, write me. My clutch is now 12 lbs to depress. AND- if the air fails, it is still easier to depress than the prior setup.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Archived