How to clean tire black off polished rims

JRP

I had my first Motorhome front tire blowout last Friday while going 60 MPH. Sure was glad I had previously watched this video that others had posted here over the years,

Coach-Net sent me a good big rig tire service and had me back on the road in an hour and half, using my unmounted spare.

The question I have for the group is, what product or process do you recommend for getting the heavy black rubber tire deposits off my previously shiny polished alum rim. When the tire blew and shreaded, it left lots of black tire rubber ground into the surface of my 22.5" Accuride polished alum rim. My normal cleaning products don't seem to be working on it.

Jim

Take care what you use, some chemicals will remove the finish sealer, some rim mfgrs. use lacquer. Some rims do not have a sealer coating, that's the ones that must be polished to restore the shine. Mothers R3 has good reviews.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

No one locally had the Mothers R3 on the shelf, so I didnt get to try that product. WD40 didnt seem to help. The local auto parts store had a product named "Goo Gone" that worked well, but only after I used thinner on the thickest deposits. My wheels do have a protective coating over the polished alum and I didn't want to use thinner directly on that. It took several sessions of applying the Goo Gone, letting it soak in, and then rubbing it off. its looking like new again, thanks for the input. Next it needs a small fiberglass patch where the spinning flat tire broke off a piece of the finished lip of the wheel well.

Yes, my front wheel is completely different than the rear. The front bulges out around the hub and the outer rear has a deep set back in around the hub. Freightliner Chassis with typical big rig wheels.

Jim

Archived