Satellite Internet.....

It is available but you need an Internet provider that supports mobile use, not many do. Google "satellite internet" or "datastorm users" and you can find some options.

Unless you can't get a signal on a cell Internet connection you don't want to even think about a satellite hookup. Expensive, slow, really really slow for secure connections, bulky gear and expensive.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Sorry Jack. I wrote up a whole thing on satellite TV service instead of INTERNET connection. Sorry about that.

We use a Verizon Jetpack modem type device for when we are on the road. Works well most of the time. We use it at the house too. And verizon does not care whether we use it at home or on the road.

I read Stan's reply and agree completely. We used to have the DataStorm system but the cell phone type connection beats it hands down as long as you are in range of a tower. Good luck. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Thanks guys.......I kept looking after I posted the question. Nothing. Came up with a cell phone hot spot or a dedicated hot spot is the way to go...........or park close to Starbucks or the like.

Going to work on the tv thing next. I was really hoping that one could combine the two.

Dish does offer a spot beamed satellite Internet service, but it is not suitable for mobile RV use. There are satellite services available for RV use though, the RVDataSat roof mount system at about $6500 plus monthly subscription fees, and the RTC Spaceway tripod based system at about $1000 plus monthly fees if it's still being offered. The RTC setup is not showing on their website, but an inquiry might turn something up. The DataSat is fully automatic, but the RTC requires manual aiming that can be quite time consuming compared to setting up a tripod mounted satellite TV dish.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Yes, there is mobile RV satellite internet and the newest hardware and service is terrific. Word is getting out slowly.

We've been long-time satellite Internet users since 2007 and last year upgraded to the newest technology, MobilSat's roof-mounted auto-pointing RV DataSat840 system. It's fast, easy and awesome but it's not for everyone. Our blog has tons of information about it in the tag RV DataSat.

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Rene & Jim, I couldn't find a price of equipment (installed) and the monthly fee with a brief reading of your website. Can you give a link, either to your website or somewhere else, that outlines these costs?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

There are currently only two satellite services suitable for mobile use currently available to new customers:

HughesNet Spot Beam KA-Band (Tripod setup .. offered through RTC) - Equipment cost is around a grand, and service is about $99/month for 20GB of 5mpbs service.

RV DataSAT 840 / Insta-Sat (rooftop install) - Equipment costs are around $6000-6500, and service is pay as you go by the GB, no contract. Cheapest option is $1000 for 100GB of data, that can be used over 12 months.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Linda, No monthly fee as such as they work like a pre-paid cell phone where you buy minutes/data and if unused it expires. They have a chart here:

EDIT: Looks like there might be monthly plans too, see the second link below on system price.

http://www.liveworkdream.com/2015/09/30/instasat/

instasat-plans.png

Hardware cost looks to be about $6500

http://www.rvdatasat.com/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Great info from you all............in the mid/late 90's.........(using a converter box and some adaptors).......traveling down highway 5 in Ca., emailing my friends using my cell phone/laptop.........(with the limited reception in those days). Some almost 20 years later and still tinkering with it.

Chirie.........how is your latest cell phone booster shoot out coming?

Jack

Great info from you all............in the mid/late 90's.........(using a converter box and some adaptors).......traveling down highway 5 in Ca., emailing my friends using my cell phone/laptop.........(with the limited reception in those days). Some almost 20 years later and still tinkering with it.

Chirie.........how is your latest cell phone booster shoot out coming?

Jack

We've completed 4 testing locations so far, and still compiling data.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Way too rich for my pocketbook! I suppose if we worked out of our RV and had to have Internet access no matter where we were, I might consider it. But, based on where *we* travel, about the only place we don't have Internet access using our Verizon android phone as a hotspot is at Mesquite Springs Campground in Death Valley.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 3 weeks later...

I have only been fulltiming in my trailer for 14 days, and so far my little mobile hotspot I bought at Walmart has worked for me everywhere except for one night up in the Adarondacks in New York.

I'm headed out west to boondock, so I have no idea if this will work out there, but I don't see why not since it's satellite.....

Actually, the mobile hotspot that you purchased at Walmart is a cellular system, not a satellite system. It will work as long as you are within range of the cellular network(s) that the system is tied to. If it is the Straight Talk device they don't own or operate a cellular system. They purchase bandwidth from various other providers such as AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Don't be surprised if your coverage is less reliable in the western states, especially in remote areas.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the Wideye iSavi satellite hub - http://amzn.to/2bPwF9M
This portable hub connects phones, tablets, and laptops to the Inmarsat satellite network.

Internet connection speed is 240 Kbps send and 385 Kbps receive.
The hub acts as a Wi-Fi hotspot to connect devices with a range of 100ft (30 meters),
and a built-in firewall.
It is small, easy to carry and setup and can be powered with solar panels.

Archived