mitigating risk of 65MPH trailer tires

jeffw

Thanks for the pointer on the Yokohama. Any idea where they are made?

I found this article that has a sortable list of tire sizes, speed ratings and load rating:

http://www.worktruckonline.com/channel/maintenance/article/story/2015/04/finding-replacement-tires-for-your-medium-duty-truck.aspx

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Maybe .........I am just tire lucky (ya right) .....or mabe I make my own tire-luck.......

my rule of thumb is that i strive to not have ANY tire ever be loaded more than 80% of rated load or less and then stay below the rated speeds......how can be this be done? Fairly simple.....adjust the loads.......unload the trailer and transfer the load to the truck.

We cheat a lot in that we have a very light truck and remain tandem so every ton we shift from the trailer makes the trailer tire happy and the added weight on the truck makes it ride better.......even our steer tires seldom see 70% load and the drivers are seldom above the road surface temps.

Here is where the tire tables and individual tire weights have no real effect and that is IMPACT Damage........yes children even I hit pot holes and drop-offs and assorted road defects that simply exceed any tire geeks worst nightmare........our roads are NOT getting better so being retired I try to stack the deck in my favor by NOT running my tires past the rated limits......

The Dollytrolley spends much of its life on rough twisty steep back roads in the Western US and even if we had any cell coverage no one would come out to nowhere-gulch to change a tire so being a laid back retired geezer it seems only fair to give my 22 tires a fair amount of chance to stay inflated.

I am amazed how many folks run up or past their tire limits and still live to type there stories......I've never had that kind of luck.....

Drive on.........(treat your tires nice or......else)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

This link might be worth a read for general information: http://www.truckinginfo.com/blog/on-the-road/story/2015/04/too-fast-for-your-tires.aspx

And this one for lots of data on NHTSA's testing program: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=NHTSA-2010-0132-0001

This was supposed to have been used in revising the 1973 FMVSS119 standard, but it hasn't happened yet. One could argue, given that all test samples made it into the 5th 30-minute speed interval (i.e. 30 mins at 75, 80, 85, 90, with first failures in the 2+ hour range and at 95mph), that more regulation isn't needed. (Waiting for lightning to strike!!) Presumably failures would be less likely in temperatures lower than the 95 deg-F specified for the test.

The speed letter codes are an ISO standard marking, and aren't required on US-market tires--the only thing that's required is a marking for a "speed restricted" tire (one not designed for more than 55 mph). For a speed restricted tire, the maximum speed has to be stamped on tire with the words "MAX SPEED". Those letter codes are consequently in metric, at 100, 110, 120, 130, and 140 km/h--corresponding to J, K, L, M, and N letter codes. The absence of 65 mph isn't the result of any default specified in FMVSS119, and the absence of a speed code doesn't mean anything other than the tire isn't sold in a market that requires an ISO marking. But it's still a guide if you have nothing else to go on.

Trailer tires are regulated by the same standard, but weren't part of the NHTSA test--it would seem like they have higher failure rates, but that could be for a number of reasons: age, shoddy construction, poor alignment, overloading, hitting bumps/curbs more often, or simply that a loss of pressure isn't as likely to be noticed from the driver's seat.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

why do you have to drive so fast, so you can miss every thing. just saying, i just blew out an out side dual on the semi. going 61 for 2 hrs temp was not high on tires on truck or trailer. trailer weights is 20200. lbs never saw blow out coming

2001 volvo 660 single.430hp autoshift 2011 Mobile Suites 38rssb3

why do you have to drive so fast, so you can miss every thing. just saying, i just blew out an out side dual on the semi. going 61 for 2 hrs temp was not high on tires on truck or trailer. trailer weights is 20200. lbs never saw blow out coming

We're racers. We're usually in a hurry to get to the track, or get home :-)

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

It sounds like tire checked out fine upon inspection. Aged out maybe, or evidence of it being punctured?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived