RV Toilet Question

Okay gang, I have a plumbing and toilet question usually associated with Class C units. On SOME the toilet is a short "Low Rise" type that sits on about a 6 inch raised off the floor wooden box platform. On OTHERS, the taller "High Rise" toilet sits direct on the floor.

MY QUESTION IS on the raised platform types is there ONLY a drain pipe underneath and the black tank DOES NOT partly enter up into that compartment above floor level ??????? I wonder if the drain pipe is sloped then turns down into the black tank orrrrrrrrr is straight up n down????

The reason for the questions is I DO NOT like the raised platform type and wonder if I took it apart I could floor mount a new high rise toilet direct over a new floor flange??? But if the pipe slopes back then down into a tank that couldn't work because the toilet would be too close to the wall. I just don't know if the raised box types are simply for using a low rise toilet or its there so the pipe slopes and then turns down into a tank in which case I likely couldn't just tear out the box and install a new high rise. Its probably cheaper to install a high rise toilet then build a box ONLY so they could use a low rise, so I fear I already guessed the answer lol

PS I don't have one now to go look at (looking at for sale pics) is a reason for these questions.

John T

Every RV model has it's own toilet design on how the waste gets from the toilet bowl to the black tank. The only way I know of to answer your question is to hold the toilet valve open and look down with a flashlight. If you know the exact year and model of the RV it may be possible that someone on the forum has the exact model and tell you how the pipe is routed.

Can you explain in some detail why you don't like the toilet on the raised platform? Changing it out is not a simple project. Partly because there is no easy way to get to the pipe in the floor to change the base plate.

I have owned RV's with both types and am unable to see an advantage or disadvantage to either type.

I do have to admit that, until my current RV with a raised platform, I was leery of the raised platform. However having used the raised platform toilet for 21 of the last 30 months I have not seen a benefit or disadvantage to the raised platform.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

RV builders rarely do anything without good reason. Since the change to the short toilet don't save money, it is a pretty safe bet that they used it because of plumbing issues. Al's suggestion to use a good light and take a look down the pipe is a very good one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Why not go directly to the source... manufacturer? I would ask if the design has changed from your year model to current, then ask if there was a functional reason for the design? I also DO NOT like the platform! I like a taller toilet, the platform seems to clutter the space, is harder to clean around and limits what/ how you place anything around the space!

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

Al and others, "Can you explain in some detail why you don't like the toilet on the raised platform?"

Thanks gang, the REASON I ask is because on some RV's I intend to keep (I may buy and sell an RV now n then, I was a dealer in the past) I install an electric recirculating RV/Marine toilet which greatly extends the time period before our black tank is full and we have to dump (This is NOT to start a discussion on toilets or the merits or other methods to increase time between dumps) AND THEY ARE ALL HIGH RISE which direct floor mount easy, but if up on a raised pedestal its not so good. When I look at pictures of RV's for sale and see the raised platform type I strongly suspect (for my reasons above) I cant just tear out the box and end up converting to a floor flange mount but I wanted to hear what yall had to say. If I had the RV here armed with a light and/or manufacturers model and serial and specs etc I would go that route, but for now I'm just looking around and think I best stick with units that have floor mount toilets.

Thanks again gang, keep safe now

John T

Add a narrow riser to the front, cover the whole riser with flooring, add the throne of your choice. Just watch the first step when leaving.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Add a narrow riser to the front, cover the whole riser with flooring, add the throne of your choice. Just watch the first step when leaving.

Now that is good thinking! An excellent way to get the toilet you want without having to redo the plumbing.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We have the platform with a high profile toilet. I am only 5/'4" and don't have a problem using it. My DH who is 5'10" does appreciate the higher toilet on the platform. Our pipe does go down and then angle into the tank.

Pat DeJong

Archived