Purchasing a solar system for my rv

GraceB

I would like to install a super simple solar system on my travel trailer -- one or two panels, battery, inverter. This would be for minimal use....like for lights in the evening. I would very much appreciate learning where to look for a good quality, affordable "starter package". Thank you :)

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and are happy to do our best in meeting your needs.

Solar can be a very complex issue and can be either a great feature or a major waste of money. Solar panels come with a rated output in watts and that converts to a current load of watts divided by volts equals amps. You really need to know what you are using in order to determine the size and number of solar panels and you also need to realize that optimum output is dependent upon direct sun and is only supplied for a small share of the hours each day. Folks here could be much more helpful if you were to tell us about your RV and your use of it. How large is your travel trailer? The amount of space on the roof is key to how much power you can expect. Do you want a system that allows you to change the angle of the panels to improve the surface that is in direct sun? How large is the budget which you plan to have available?

There are many other things to consider and several of our members have a lot of experience with solar systems and some have written some excellent material on their websites to share. You may want to start by visiting the website of Jack Meyer and read about his experiences.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would like to install a super simple solar system on my travel trailer -- one or two panels, battery, inverter. This would be for minimal use....like for lights in the evening. I would very much appreciate learning where to look for a good quality, affordable "starter package". Thank you :)

Many people living in small rigs are finding the Renogy suitcase systems reliable and easy to use as they learn about solar. This blog can help you understand that type of system: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/electrical/installing-renogy-200-watt-solar-kit/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I thought the question was very simple and straight forward. The OP wants a simple system to run very basic items such as lights.

Not complicated at all. One solar panel to charge one battery. A regulator, a small inverter and your in business. These basic items can be purchased at a number of locations and set up by a novice.

It only gets more complicated when you start introducing more requirements.

regards

Don't buy cheap solar panels from EBAY. Avoid flexible panels at all costs.

Kyocera panels are the gold standard I would buy something like this http://www.solar-electric.com/solar-panels-mounts-kits-accessories/solarpanels/kyocera-solar-panels/kyocera-ku265-6mca-265-watt-multicrystal-solar-panel.html with a good MPPT controller. NOTE you must have a MPPT type controller with this higher voltage panel.

This type of panel will provide good output if partially shadowed.

I am assuming you will mount it flat on your roof.

If you are prepared to tilt and rotate your panel to follow the sun and keep it out of shade then a smaller panel will do say 120 watts.

If you can find the space fit two golf cart batteries, they give the best life and most bang for your buck.

I have 3 x 135 Kyocera rigid panels and a Blue Sky 2000E MPPT controller.Thyey are 8 years old the panels are still going strong with no apparent drop in output. I had to replace the controller this year. I live off the grid with the above.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Didn't notice where you are but Solar Blvd has a Great Deal on 12 volt Panels:

12v/120 watt panel- 96.00

12v/140 watt panel-112.00

Only issue being is shipping on these items but I know they have a new East coast distribution and one here in So Calif. Just mentioned to my wife that I might drive down tomorrow to have a look see!

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

Archived