Greenhorn Gremlins

Skeeterslayer

Just an intro note to all other rookies out there. Greetings to all of ya... I wonder if some of you are reeling from information overload as you move forward in this great adventure and lifestyle. I have a bad habit of overanalyzing subject matter to include this leap into the unknown. Prior to retirement, I envied those that I met on the road to and from work pulling their 5;ers, driving class A, B, C's on their way to the next adventure. I would say to myself "One day"..... Well, now the time has arrived for the wife and I to experience all that the lifestyle has to offer. We have purchased our 5'er of choice, and in September will drive deep into the American landscape and see for ourselves if this lifestyle meets and or exceeds our expectations.

After over a year of research we think we are ready! lol..lol... Don't get me started! I feel like Bilbo Baggins or Frodo prior to setting off into the unknown far reaches of the Shire.

So reply with any positive comments and advice if inclined. We would like to hear from others who have recently or plan to jump off the cliff because others did.

In late 2012, my wife and I retired, bought a 36' motorhome, a tow car, and left Michigan on Jan 10, 2013... heading for an Escapees Club Bootcamp in Wickenberg, AZ. Smartest thing we ever did. Of course, we had to get there...

We had no experience, and had not even tent camped in over 30 years. 3+ years later, we are still fulltimers, and love what we are doing. We kept our house, and could leave the road at any time... but we don't want to.

So do the Bootcamp... undertake no obligations for the first year... make friends and learn from them.... don't 'be afraid to make mistakes.

And Good Luck!

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

My advice to most newbies is to slow down. There's lots to see out here but you don't have to do it all the first year. Do go to boot camp if you can and do join your Escapee's class--having that group of people all starting out at the same time is a great benefit of joining this club. If you will be traveling a lot, and most do the first year, joining Passport America can be a good money saver. I don't usually recommend joining any other associations, besides Escapee's of course, until you learn what works for you as you travel. If it looks like visiting national parks and monuments will be on your agenda, though, buy one of their passports at your first stop. I've always been sorry about all the passport stamps we didn't collect. Other than that just enjoy!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for commenting Carolaow, Jim/Alice, Sandsys & ScouserI41. We will be attending the boot camp and will take it slow. Mistakes will be made I'm sure of it. Just need to minimize costly mistakes and drive safely.

"Scouser"?? That a last name? My mother is a scouser from Widnes UK.

Good advice so far, where are you located? I am sure local folks would be more then happy if you could meet up and learn some things before heading out. What kind of 5th wheel did you get? Search the web for info and owners forum for your brand as you will be able to find out the good & bad of it and maybe head off a issue. As said before slow down, relax and enjoy and most of all keep reading and asking questions.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Let me first say, welcome to the Escapees RV Club and to the forums that they host! We really enjoy connecting with new members of each group so please do not hesitate to join any conversation of discussion with questions and/or opinions. Nobody ever learns all that there is to know about RVs and RV traveling and even if we did, things are constantly changing so we can all sometimes use help.

Since you plan to attend Boot Camp, I'm wondering if you will also then attend Escapade in Vermont this summer? If you are, please do let everyone know who you are as many of us will be there. I'll be working with security this year but don't arrive until after Boot Camp has begun so even though I'll be part of the parking crew, you will already be there when we roll in. Even so, by all means do introduce yourself as I'll be around the entire time and my photo is recent so you should recognize me. In addition, Pam will be working in the craft area (with Linda) so stop in and meet both of them as well.

Since you have your RV, the best advice now is to take plenty of time to enjoy life along the way. Never forget that RV life isn't a competition to see who can travel the most miles or pass through the most states, but rather it is a way of life that allows you to spend as much time as you wish anywhere that you wish. The other thing that I will advise is to enter this lifestyle realizing that it is a lifestyle and not a vacation so always look ahead to the good times, even though at some time problems will strike, just as happens no matter where you live. Do not allow the problems of life to deter you from your goal of enjoying your travels, when they do strike. Problems are a part of living and the RV community is full of good people who are happy to help and support you when things are difficult so do not hesitate to let them know if you are in need! Always get out and mix with the folks in other RVs near you as making friends and meeting people is the best part of the RV lifestyle!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good advice so far, where are you located? I am sure local folks would be more then happy if you could meet up and learn some things before heading out. What kind of 5th wheel did you get? Search the web for info and owners forum for your brand as you will be able to find out the good & bad of it and maybe head off a issue. As said before slow down, relax and enjoy and most of all keep reading and asking questions.

We are currently located in Panhandle, FL. Our 5'er is on order and should be ready mid July. We purchased a Vanleigh, Vilano 325RL. We searched both used and new for about a year. Lots of homework relative to 4 season units and lots of RV shows etc.. before the leap. I have some experience traveling with a 5'er but it's been a long time.

Let me first say, welcome to the Escapees RV Club and to the forums that they host! We really enjoy connecting with new members of each group so please do not hesitate to join any conversation of discussion with questions and/or opinions. Nobody ever learns all that there is to know about RVs and RV traveling and even if we did, things are constantly changing so we can all sometimes use help.

Since you plan to attend Boot Camp, I'm wondering if you will also then attend Escapade in Vermont this summer? If you are, please do let everyone know who you are as many of us will be there. I'll be working with security this year but don't arrive until after Boot Camp has begun so even though I'll be part of the parking crew, you will already be there when we roll in. Even so, by all means do introduce yourself as I'll be around the entire time and my photo is recent so you should recognize me. In addition, Pam will be working in the craft area (with Linda) so stop in and meet both of them as well.

Since you have your RV, the best advice now is to take plenty of time to enjoy life along the way. Never forget that RV life isn't a competition to see who can travel the most miles or pass through the most states, but rather it is a way of life that allows you to spend as much time as you wish anywhere that you wish. The other thing that I will advise is to enter this lifestyle realizing that it is a lifestyle and not a vacation so always look ahead to the good times, even though at some time problems will strike, just as happens no matter where you live. Do not allow the problems of life to deter you from your goal of enjoying your travels, when they do strike. Problems are a part of living and the RV community is full of good people who are happy to help and support you when things are difficult so do not hesitate to let them know if you are in need! Always get out and mix with the folks in other RVs near you as making friends and meeting people is the best part of the RV lifestyle!

Thanks for the kind welcome Kirk. We are over the moon now that we have committed to the lifestyle. We won't be traveling to Vermont this summer but looking at the smart weigh program and boot camp once we get started. The advice you offer is sound and we will take it day by day. We are committed to slowing down, taking time to each destination etc.. I know there will be issues along the way, just need to minimize unnecessary hardship and think safety, safety. Don't want to be "That Guy" lol...

"Scouser"?? That a last name? My mother is a scouser from Widnes UK.

Skeeterslayer

A SCOUSER technically is a person born and/or living in the City of Liverpool England.

That being said Barbara and I aren't really Scousers as we were born and lived in Birkenhead the town across the river Mersey from Liverpool. We talk with that distinctive Liverpool accent like the Beatles and nobody knows where Birkenhead is so we say we're from Liverpool. The L41 is actually the first 3 digits of the Postal Code for our home town!!

You Mom technically isn't a Scouser either as Widnes is further up the River Mersey closer to Manchester, but we'll let that slip OK??

Thanks

Brian and Barbara (BnB)

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Archived