Windows 10 Start menu will soon show twice as many ads. Here's how to get rid of them

RV_

I didn't even notice these guys because I don't use start menu 99% of the time. I didn't in Windows 7 and earlier either.

Excerpt:

"Want to never see a promoted app in the Start menu again? Follow this step-by-step guide for home users and businesses.

Microsoft is to double the number of adverts for apps that appear in Windows 10's Start menu.

Windows 10's Start menu currently has five tiles that display 'promoted apps', which are Windows Store apps the user hasn't installed on their PC. Three of these tiles are links to apps on the Windows Store and two are Windows Store apps that Windows 10 has previously automatically installed on the machine.

In future versions of Windows 10, the number of 'promoted apps' tiles in the Start menu will rise to 10. To make room, the number of tiles linking to apps installed on the machine will decrease, from 17 to 12.

Microsoft discussed the changes at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in late April, as part of a briefing on new features in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, due out this summer.

It remains unclear whether all versions of Windows 10 will eventually see the Start menu changes or just new installs. Microsoft has been contacted for clarification.

If you don't want adverts appearing in your Windows 10 Start menu, here's how to remove them.

For home users

One option for removing these tiles is to install Classic Shell. The software will allow you to customize the look and feel of Windows, including changing the Start menu to resemble that of Windows 7 or earlier Microsoft operating systems.

If you don't want to do that, here's how to manually remove each tile from the Start menu."

And the article goes on with the steps here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-start-menu-will-soon-show-twice-as-many-ads-heres-how-to-get-rid-of-them/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Yep!! Classic Shell doesn't have the promoted app's. I have had it since day one of updates to 10 on laptop & Desktop.

Turned all apps off or deleted them at the same time.

Only use app's on my iPhone 6 Plus and then only the ones I chose.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Just right click on the "suggestions" and turn them off. Or go to the Start settings and turn them off. No need to change shells.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived