Replacement Locks

lonewolftx

Have recently found my stock RV lock opens other RV's which means others can open mine. I replaced my main door unit with this RVLOCK Keyless entry V4 model. Also looking to replace my TH patio door latch with these sleeker ones.

Any others thoughts? :mellow:

post-54731-0-83790200-1462979419_thumb.jpg

post-54731-0-44600500-1462979488_thumb.jpg

We're not here for a LONG TIME, we're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH! :rolleyes:

'16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.3LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock,'16 Fuzion 420 17.5k

Went to my local locksmith about re-keying my compartment locks. He said it would be cheaper to replace them so I did at about $7 each. He had them in stock. Now any one with a 751 key will simply move on to the next trailer.

Went to my local locksmith about re-keying my compartment locks. He said it would be cheaper to replace them so I did at about $7 each. He had them in stock. Now any one with a 751 key will simply move on to the next trailer.

Or take something and pry it open and damage the door in the process! Do you want to replace your stolen articles AND your compartment door?

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Or take something and pry it open and damage the door in the process! Do you want to replace your stolen articles AND your compartment door?

I tend to agree. Good insurance coverage is about the best security you can have. It's certainly a personal choice, but if you consider that in a campground there are possibly hundreds of rigs.. and everyone knows their keys will fit nearly everyone else's rig.. as well as knowing everyone around them has a key to 'their' rig.. theft is extremely rare. It's also nice if you were to misplace your keys.. all you gotta do is ask a neighbor and replacements are cheap and readily available.

Unique keying might be a bit of a deterrent to the casual thief of opportunity, but it only takes a flat-head screwdriver and 2 seconds to pop an RV door. Of course.. it will damage the door and frame, but there you have it. ;)

To me.. "stuff" is easily replaceable and insured. A door repair could take weeks in the shop.

It is interesting this post popped up, my wife and I were looking at Fifth wheels on a dealer lot two weeks ago and after the salesmen opened about the sixth trailer I noticed he had a key ring with only about 6 keys on it. He could usually open whatever trailer we walked up to by the second key, sometimes the third. I thought maybe dealers had some sort of master key for different brands, I had not considered that they might only be a couple of key pinning combinations.

Using that logic we would never lock anything since a determined thief with the right tools and enough time can open

ANY locked compartment/safe/vault. By the same logic I assume you leave all your doors unlocked when you leave the rig.

The obvious idea is to make it harder to open my compartments than the guy's next to me. As the old joke punch line goes, "I don't have to outrun the bear, only you"

Using that logic we would never lock anything since a determined thief with the right tools and enough time can open

ANY locked compartment/safe/vault. By the same logic I assume you leave all your doors unlocked when you leave the rig.

The obvious idea is to make it harder to open my compartments than the guy's next to me. As the old joke punch line goes, "I don't have to outrun the bear, only you"

These RV compartment doors are a LONG WAY from the quality of a safe/vault and as said above can be popped open with a simple cheap screwdriver.

Yes, we do leave our doors unlocked when away unless going our of town.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Using that logic we would never lock anything

Not necessarily, but the deterrent should be commensurate with the potential loss.

There's nothing really in our basement that is worth the price of a new door and frame painted to match the rest. I'd rather you just get what you want and don't let me see you....

X2. And if you're a full timer.. ANY time in the shop is a pretty big inconvenience.

These RV compartment doors are a LONG WAY from the quality of a safe/vault

X2... or even your front door or a window. You're basically talking about a foam door sandwiched between two very thin pieces of material in a lightweight aluminum frame that you can bend with your hands.

In a CG or populated area I lock my door. More just to keep out curious "run wild" kids and as a small deterrent, but I primarily boondock and leave my rig unlocked. Not that I'm just "oh so trusting", but there's an LP fridge and electrical's online inside. In the event of a fire I WANT anyone offering assistance in my absence to have ready access.

Despite what anyone says.. you should do what gives you peace of mind. It's not a costly upgrade.

I DO chuckle a little though when I see someone leaving their little inverter generators outside with a chain on it fit for a pit bull and a $50 padlock... not even stopping to consider that it would take all of about 5 seconds with a hacksaw to cut through the plastic handle it's secured to. ;)

Archived