Learnewd something NEW today

jc2

One of the things that most rv owners should do is to acquire a broad general knowledge of how to perform certain types of rv maintenance; etc. Over the years, with the help of magazines like Escapees and others and from advice of the many readers of this and similar magazines, I have managed to acquire sufficient knowledge on how to do quite a view of those types of repairs/preventive items when the need arises. An example in-point is while perusing the recently received May-June 2016 issue of the Escapees magazine, I began to read a 4 step process outlined in the article on RV Roof Maintenance as this is one of several things I do every year. Whether it has been in other similar articles in past years or not, part of step 2 mentioned using a "different" type of sealant around skylights instead of the Dicor lap-sealant. (It probably was and I missed it) I can only guess that maybe the composition of the Dicor lap-sealant does not play nice with skylights as to why this was stated. The very few times that I have had to seal a skylight in the past, I've used eternabond tape. A Google search did turn up a sealant that is for skylights so all is good. Just goes to show that you never stop learning about these things. My thanks to Eric Highland, #124763, for a great article. :D

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Dartmouth, to your post..........."I learned this weekend that my onan generator has an adjustment for altitude"

FWIW I agree and many of my Onans (some were older two cylinder models) have likewise. Some had a stuck on altitude gauge on the carb bowl that indicated where to turn the bowl bottom center adjuster for certain elevations. HOWEVER some had a plastic turn limiter so the adjustment screw could only turn so far and I couldn't get some of them to run right (seemed too lean otherwise, needed turned out more then allowed) unless and until I broke off the plastic tab after which I could dial them in perfect. I'm NOT advising this I'm ONLY saying it worked for me just fine.

John T

Dartmouth, I soooooooooooo much preferred the older two cylinder much quieter 1800 RPM Onan gensets to the newer so called "Microquiet" (Yeah right) single cylinder no oil filter screaming 3600 RPM units. I think that was their RPM but no warranty. HP = Torque X RPM so with less torque you need more RPM to get same HP.

AGAIN I'm NOT advising people to defeat the plastic tab that limits and restricts the amount you can rotate the carb bowls bottom center Lean/Rich adjusting screw (on older units), I'm ONLY saying that's what I had to do to make it run just right. perhaps my carb had some gum or varnish or other restrictions over age which necessitated I do that?? BUT HEY IT WORKED FOR ME

John T

• 2 weeks later...

Had an Onan 6.5 KW that would not start properly unless it was very warm. Dealer said he adjusted the carb. and cleaned it also adjusted the altitude switch but still did not work properly.

I checked it one morning (system was cold) and found that the thermal choke was open. under that condition it should have been closed. I cleaned the linkage, no joy. bite the bullet and adjusted the choke by loosing and turning the choke housing (black plastic) and watched as the choke closed. When it was closed I locked the choke housing down and tried to start it. it worked immediately. after it ran for a minute or two the choke had opened so everything was good.

The generator worked fine for at least another100 hours until I sold the MH.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Winnebago uses the Dicor self leveling sealant on the skylight. I had no problems with it in 11 years of full time use and have never heard of anyone having issues.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Winnebago uses the Dicor self leveling sealant on the skylight. I had no problems with it in 11 years of full time use and have never heard of anyone having issues.

Same for our experience with our Cruise Master.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived