Urgent Call to Action: Uninstall QuickTime for Windows Today

RV_

This is all over the news but in case you missed it, Apple is no longer supporting any versions of QuickTime for Windows. It is being attacked and vulnerabilities have been found since Apple stopped supporting it. Apple is making the recommendation for Windows users to remove it.

From Trend Micro.

Excerpt:

"We’re putting the word out that everyone should follow Apple’s guidance and uninstall QuickTime for Windows as soon as possible.

This is for two reasons.

First, Apple is deprecating QuickTime for Microsoft Windows. They will no longer be issuing security updates for the product on the Windows Platform and recommend users uninstall it. Note that this does not apply to QuickTime on Mac OSX.

Second, our Zero Day Initiative has just released two advisories ZDI-16-241 and ZDI-16-242 detailing two new, critical vulnerabilities affecting QuickTime for Windows. These advisories are being released in accordance with the Zero Day Initiative’s Disclosure Policy for when a vendor does not issue a security patch for a disclosed vulnerability. And because Apple is no longer providing security updates for QuickTime on Windows, these vulnerabilities are never going to be patched.

We’re not aware of any active attacks against these vulnerabilities currently. But the only way to protect your Windows systems from potential attacks against these or other vulnerabilities in Apple QuickTime now is to uninstall it. In this regard, QuickTime for Windows now joins Microsoft Windows XP and Oracle Java 6 as software that is no longer being updated to fix vulnerabilities and subject to ever increasing risk as more and more unpatched vulnerabilities are found affecting it.

You can find information on how to uninstall Apple QuickTime for Windows from the Apple website here: https://support.apple.com/HT205771

Our TippingPoint customers have been protected against these two vulnerabilities since November 24, 2015 with filters 21918(ZDI-CAN-3401) and 21919(ZDI-CAN-3402).

However, even with protections, ultimately the right answer is to follow Apple’s guidance and uninstall QuickTime for Windows. That is the only sure way to be protected against all current and future vulnerabilities in the product now that Apple is no longer providing security updates for it."

The full article with more is here: http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call-action-uninstall-quicktime-windows-today/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I don't think so Linda, you are safe if you can't find it. If you have Apple's iTunes check the folder there to be sure. If no iTunes you should be fine.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I don't think so Linda, you are safe if you can't find it. If you have Apple's iTunes check the folder there to be sure. If no iTunes you should be fine.

No Apple iTunes, so I guess I'm good! Thanks, Derek!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

What about non-Apple pc's ?

This alert IS for Windows machines that have QuickTime, because Apple is no longer issuing security updates for the Windows version.

Click on Control Panel in the Start menu, then Programs and Features (Add or Remove Programs in Win XP) and if QuickTime appears in the list, uninstall it.

Archived