Question about inverter install

4x4ff

I am getting ready to install an inverter in my 5er. Sometimes we leave the 5er at our campsite and it may be 6 months before we are able to get back to it. I want to install the inverter to run the residential fridge in it. Anyway.....I was thinking when I install it would it be a good idea to put this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DUUL9W/ref=pd_luc_rh_bxgy_01_04_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in between the battery and the inverter? The switch is rated for 275 amps. That way if I am storing it for a while I KNOW I don't have to worry about the inverter messing up (even though it will be switched off). Maybe I am just over analysing it.

Steve

2007 Pilgrim M378 SA4S-5

e9132d54-0b3a-4ebb-ae60-dd6b6d56e047_zps

I have a switch similar to that, but with higher amp ratings between my batteries and all loads (including the inverter). I did it for two reasons. One was long term storage, like you are talking about and the other was for system maintenance if needed. I wanted to be able to disconnect power from everything down stream of the battery bank when I needed to work on something.

I used this one: [http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Battery-Disconnect-Amperes/dp/B014N35WJI/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460871463&sr=1-2&keywords=Blue+sea+3000 but I have a large battery bank (8 six volt batteries in series /parallel at a little over 900 amp hours).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

For storage you want the switch to disconnect all the loads from the battery, not just the inverter. So many RV devices use a trickle of power that your batteries will be flat when you get back to the RV unless you kill all the drains. We usually just lifted the negative battery post and opened the breakers between the panels and the controller, that left us with no active electronics to worry about and minimal battery water use.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived