Ducks or chickens?

Mantislover

In our many years of travel this is a new one for me. I guess that you could also add a cow or a goat to your traveling farm.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Your local farm implement/feed store should be able to order them in for you.. if they don't currently have any in stock. I'm sure there are online sources as well, but shipping might cost a bit. Ducks will run you more, but still.. they are probably only something like $5-6 and chicks would probably be something more like $1.50-2.

I've met quite a few ducks in my travels.

Seriously, I think you might find your opportunities limited. Many cities will ban them. I can also speculate that many campgrounds/RV parks may also.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have had plenty of both over the years and they are both pretty messy and fragrant. You might find it easier to buy fresh organic/free range eggs in your travels as an alternative.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Seriously? I don't know if the "4 ducks or chickens in an RV" is intended as a joke, but it made me laugh, for sure! As one who has had ducks and chickens and geese on the ranch, I suggest that the idea of hauling along chickens or ducks in an RV is a mind bender; anyone who has "fowl experience" knows that any and all of these critters produce copious amounts of "offal", all the time and on every surface they can waddle or flap to. I am sure that the appeal of the idea of having onboard egg machines (and the hens or ducks might not lay at all) would pale real fast when the inside of the rig was covered in CS and stinking. I can also see the animals being abandoned when the inevitable takes place; not good.

If the OP was serious, I suggest a hard reset on this idea; a dog or cat can make good travel companions and grocery stores and farmers' markets carry eggs.

I haven't met anyone with ducks or chickens but did meet a lady with a pet pig named Rosie in a NY campground. Quite interesting. Rosie is house broken, likes dogs and people, and stays right around the owners TT.

We saw someone with a pig in an RV at a campground at Fort Peck Dam in Montana! Have no idea what the pig's name was, though.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

While I agree with others I will tell you that 2 years ago in Oregon we met a family in a "schoolie" that had a chicken coop installed on top of the rig. They had several chickens. Now having been raised on a farm I can't imagine how traveling down the road with them on top served any useful purpose. I would then that it affected their laying. I might add that walking past their rig was slightly ossiferous and they were asked to leave because of it.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

One of my favorite blogs: "One Girl's Rant"

The first time I saw this video several years ago, I was living on my sister's farm near her hen house, Chateau La Peep. Before the summer was over we'd made huge nets on broom sticks to catch a daily ration of fresh Chicken Candy (grasshoppers) for 4 Speckles, 3 Reds, 2 Fancies, Betty White, and The Rooster. They were an amazing, funny bunch and I learned a lot from them.

Blogger Misty Schutt calls it out in her spot on rant, "The Hazards of Backyard Chickens, Because someone has to tell it like it is." http://onegirlsrant.com/the-hazards-of-backyard-chickens/

Enjoy the education.

If you want to buy farm fresh eggs from the farmer, you'll want to watch "Give Me Back My Chicken Eggs," another Misty Schutt video on this page: http://onegirlsrant.com/video/

Be warned. Don't drink or eat fresh peaches while you watch these snort-worthy videos.

Archived