Trailer brakes

Jeffd

Hey all, I have 2015 Dodge Ram 3500, dual 7 pin trailer plugs, one in bed, one on fender, when connected to trailer, dash shows trailer not connected. I used plug in 7 pin tester, applied full brake, brake light on tester won't light, pushed manual slider over, no light on tester. Repeated with Vdc tester at both plugs, no voltage. I do get a slight pulsing on meter (light, no voltage. Reading) ditto on tester plugged in. Is this definitely a truck controller problem? I have checked the fuses under hood. Thanks, hate to take it in.

Before taking it to the shop, check your Owner's Manual. There may be something as simple as a fuse or two that need to be inserted to enable full functionality of that circuit.

If nothing simple or obvious like that can be found, then you're almost certainly going to have to take it to the dealer, since, with no voltage on the trailer brake wire in either socket, the trailer brake wiring circuit appears to be open.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Yes it is the first time plugging into trailer but I stopped at dealer where I bough truck today and they had a trailer on site they offered to plug into, the truck turned out to be fine, the comments on needing a load attached were correct, the controller worked fine hooked to different trailer, I'll start checking the trailer pins, I have a new cord for trailer and I'll start looking for continuity to brakes, thanks all for the help, I'll post what I found out. First time rv'er so it's a good chance for me to learn the systems.(doesn't hurt I'm retired and got te time)

Does your trailer have disc brakes? if so you might need a Cam adapter to make it work, I did on my Chevy.

If it has electric drum brakes you will not need the adapter.

Roger

New Rams don't have that problem, at least no one I know of, myself included.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know about the 2015 Rams, but my 2011 is weird in that it must be moving before it will send a signal to the brakes. Nothing registers on a tester unless the truck is in motion. Try plugging in yours and see what happens when the truck is in motion.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

• 3 years later...

Just found my problem with my brakes losing connection when turning to the right or when the road turns to the right. It was driving me nuts looking for this lost connection only when driving.

Turns out it was near the drivers side rear tire of the fifth wheel camper. The brake wire was being pinched between a gray tank and the frame. So when I had water in the gray tank. It was heavier, the wire lost contact which showed up on my dash. Tank dry, there was no problem!!

I hope this helps