Wiper Blades

Nuke-E

Just thought I'd post a few observations I've had with wiper blades on my Volvo truck. I'm pretty picky when it comes to wipers, regularly make use of RainX, and frequently drive in rain (in the car, usually fast enough I don't need the wipers much at all). Mark--Feel free to copy over to the resource guide if you'd like.

• Several of the low profile beam style wiper blades challenged the wiper arm's ability to keep the blade against the windshield. Even with a helper spring on the wiper arm, these didn't stay in place long as I ended up with an unwiped area under the center of the blade a few inches wide. The smaller distance between the J-hook and the windshield surface isn't well tolerated.
  • I've had reasonably good luck with both standard metal frame blades and Michelin Stealth blades (from Wal-Mart) in terms of working well. But both, like most wiper blades, are EPDM rubber which doesn't last all that long when exposed to the elements.
  • On a whim a while back, I looked to see if anyone made wiper blades with silicone rubber. I came across 2 brands, PIAA and SilBlade. The SilBlade product comes with a 5-year warranty (though a lot of people legitimately complain that they charge shipping on replacements), and I've been pleased so far--they've been on the car for a while now. PIAA sells a refill that's a little cheaper than the whole frame. At first I thought the SilBlade wipers were a tad pricey direct from them, but they were available on Amazon considerably cheaper--$13.50 per blade, which competes with a generic replacement.
  • Also, the catalogs in most auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, etc. won't include heavy trucks, but the wipers aren't anything special. Most truck parts catalogs list a 22" wiper blade for both driver and passenger side, but both accommodate a 24" blade without issue, and that'll sweep just a tad more of the windshield clean. In my case, the bonus is that 2 of the 3 blades on my Mazda also take a 24" size, which means I can keep fewer spares on hand.

Thoughts?

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The more vertical the windshield the less effective I have found rain X,from useless on a bluebird school bus to not worth it on the volvo .

My pick up on the other hand anything over 50 and a monsoon - no wipers needed in fact made vision worse.

Up north I found nothing lasts the winter without a degrading of function ,so new every spring. Is expensive worth it ?IDK.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

You just aren't getting those kids to school fast enough! ;-)

I cheat with RainX though--I don't follow the instructions and do the whole bit with buffing the windshield and all. I just give the wiper fluid bottle a good squirt of the stuff (or use RainX wiper fluid). I suppose I could say a squirt in the bottle and foot on the throttle!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

I've replaced the blades 3 times since we've had the truck..... 16 months. My issue is after 2-3 months the blades start chattering on the windshield. Used expensive and cheap, with and without RainX, and haven't really found a happy spot yet.

Maybe the silicone blades will make a difference.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have had good luck with the GoodYear Hybrid wipers. I usually change blades every spring. Before switching to these blades, I was lucky to make it through the winter. Now I feel bad tossing them out, since they still work good.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

I've replaced the blades 3 times since we've had the truck..... 16 months. My issue is after 2-3 months the blades start chattering on the windshield. Used expensive and cheap, with and without RainX, and haven't really found a happy spot yet.

Maybe the silicone blades will make a difference.

passenger side of the bluebird destroys blades quickly ,noticeably less life then the drivers side .The reason I think is a chip and some abrasions ,the rough glass toasts the blade .

Jim you may need to find a excuse to replace the windshield. :-)

woot woot

Those Blades must be gold plated in Canada

$60 bucks Canadian each on Amazon.ca.

WTF

Even with exchange thats about 14.00 US on Amazon.com which is about =20 bucks Can, compared to 60 bucks off Amazon.ca that a 40 bucks difference ..like I said gold plated .

I bet there will be a carbon tax on them in Canada as well. oh and a disposal enviro fee, don't forget the 13% sales tax. oh and $ 43.00 shipping to Canada on top ..hahah

I think I will wait and get them once in crossville if I find I need a new pair!!!!!

You almost sound like a red-blooded American!

That's a huge difference. You do know that you can still order on amazon.com and ship to Canada, right (certain items)? I have the headlights listed on amazon.com but not amazon.ca (they practically wanted me to establish another corporation in Canada to do that), yet someone can order from amazon.com, get charged the international shipping rate, and pay with miniaturized dollars--and it looks no different to me other than the address and shipping charge. I get the money in $US.

And for the record, they aren't available in gold, but they do make 'em silver: http://www.silblade.com/Silver-Premium-Silicone-Wiper-Blade-_p_103.html

Costco has been running a sale on Goodyear 22" for 7.99@ Given that both the Napa brand and Rainx brand blades did not survive more than a year at most and were double/triple the price, I can live with these if they just last a year.

Rain-x treatment? Absolutely and expect the chatter. It goes with rain-x. I also use the Rain-x washer additive and it does make a big difference. Just a few squirts and things are a lot better for awhile. Lots more convenient than trying to get out in the weather to make visibility better.

I also carry the Rainx wipes. Not as good as the real thing properly prepared and used but still, better than nothing and they are effective in a pinch in the rain. Keep them in the Smart car trunk.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Rain-x treatment? Absolutely and expect the chatter. It goes with rain-x. I also use the Rain-x washer additive and it does make a big difference. Just a few squirts and things are a lot better for awhile. Lots more convenient than trying to get out in the weather to make visibility better.

That's interesting--I've never had any blade chatter using RainX.

That's interesting--I've never had any blade chatter using RainX.

Me either....and I use it a good bit. Maybe it has to do with my application method. I use 4/0 steel wool for application, and scrub the windshield pretty good, using the rainx. Then I clean that and apply rainx in the normal fashion. Oh, and I've been running the pretty expensive rainx wipers....they do seem to work pretty well. But not worth the money, probably. For fluid I use the rainx fluid, but I don't know if that does much over the regular bugx fluid. Too many other variables to tell.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So in my case, what would cause the chattering? It's not every blade sweep, or every time it rains. Theory says the blade isn't reversing direction with the arm sweep causing it to skip/chatter. But it isn't a particular blade that does it. And I only notice it on the drivers side. No cracks or chips in the windshield.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My first guess would be slop in the wiper arm (either at the base where the arm attaches or looseness at the J-hook) or possibly a weak spring not keeping it against the windshield.

So in my case, what would cause the chattering? It's not every blade sweep, or every time it rains. Theory says the blade isn't reversing direction with the arm sweep causing it to skip/chatter. But it isn't a particular blade that does it. And I only notice it on the drivers side. No cracks or chips in the windshield.

Drive's side always wears faster cuz it gets looked through more. :P

Seriously, I've had nearly new blades exhibit that behavior. I find that making sure you buy quality blades that haven't been lying around the store for ages helps. (do wiper blades have a "born on" date?)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have had chatter in the past, I am now using "invisible glass" as a cleaner/Polish and have not had an issue since.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

re chatter : no problems with the volvo but when a car wiper chatters its raining and I get more and more pe owed,at that point I grab the wiper arm and give it a twist changing the angle of contact a bit , most of time chatter is gone.

woot woot

Archived