Another Battery ?

Broncohauler

Like a lot of others here I need to practice what I preach.

Went out to start the truck today after I hate to say it 2 1/2 months, and my volt meter is down to 10 volts.

I disconnected all batteries,and I'm charging them one at a time.

My charger is automatic and works at 2,10 or 50 amps,I've had it on 2 amps all day. Can I get the job done faster on 10 amps and still get a quality charge??

Batteries are 5 months old.

What is the reason for starting the truck? If you are going to use it, then get enough charge to get it running and then use it. The Alternator will charge the batteries more quickly and not over charge. Once you get your drive done. Hook up the charger and leave it on. Check it frequently to make sure it's holding it's own with what ever draw you are having while the truck is sitting. Took me a month to find a light that was trying to come on (fluorescent) and putting too much drain on the batteries for the charge to allow. It would shut off with a blinking warning light. Couldn't see the partially illumination until it was pitch black. Have since marked the switch for the off position.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You can use the higher charge rate. Just make sure not to leave it on for days at a time.

All of our trucks - because of the way they are typically used - should have trickle chargers on them. I like the BatteryMinder. THIS ONE is the one I use, and has a 2 amp charge, which is fine for battery maintenance.

For those trucks without access to power, then a solar charger should be used. See the other thread discussing that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack

I have been following the other thread, just wanted to make sure 10amps was ok.

Never thought I would need a battery minder but just ordered one thanks for the link.

It says it won't work for optima batteries and I need one for my boat. What would you recommend?

Look at the other models. They have them that will work on AGMs.

Thanks Jack
I have been following the other thread, just wanted to make sure 10amps was ok.
Never thought I would need a battery minder but just ordered one thanks for the link.
It says it won't work for optima batteries and I need one for my boat. What would you recommend?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived