Texas Driver's License - Towing a 5th Wheel

WaywardWaylander

I'm considering domiciling (is that a word?) in Texas when I make the move to full-time RVing. I'm not quite understanding the wording of the Texas Classified DL requirements and am hoping someone here can interpret for me.

If I'm planning to pull a 5th Wheel toy hauler (GVWR of 19,000 lbs) with something like a Ford F-350 diesel dually (7800 lbs), would the combined maximum weight of 26,800 pounds require a Class A license? Is a 5th wheel RV considered a "vehicle" in the nomenclature of the law?

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

Yes, you are required to have a Class A exempt license. Not a CDL.

The key determining factor is the GVWR of the two items - truck and trailer. Not the actual weights, the rated weights. So if you are over 26K you need the upgraded license.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In the Texas literature you may also see it referred to as a non-CDL Class A.

Fairly simple written test and a fairly easy driving test (take in Livingston, TX if at all possible)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

You could choose Fla or SD instead. They are the other 2 of the Big 3 states that many (most?) full timers use. DL requirements are 1 of several considerations. Healthcare is another consideration, as is vehicle insurance.

I'm weighing all the options and still in research phase. :)

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

Yes, you are. Many do it though. I did for 8 years and never a problem. Through many states also. Not suggesting you break the law just providing facts. Most people don't even know they need a Class A. When I registered the Teton they deliberately put down the empty weight of our camper so my license would be good. Surprise. This was in Walker county, Texas.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived