Autosock traction device (chain alternative)

CHIEFWAHO

We have a Jeeping trip (Easter Jeep Safari Moab, UT) scheduled towards the end of March.

The preferred route is I-70 through Colorado. Only if weather forecast allows, if not it will be the southern route.

CHIEF our HDT Volvo VNL610, bed does not have room for chains.

I do believe that there is enough room to run an alternate traction device.

I want to be prepared. I have been looking at the Autosock.

http://www.autosock.com/en/products.html

From internet searching it looks as the Autosock is now approved for Colorado (CDOT).

https://www.codot.gov/library/Brochures/chain-up-tips-for-passenger-vehicles

"The alternate traction control device known as the AutoSock™ remains an approved device in Colorado. Commercial vehicles (both single and double-axle) exceeding 26,000 Gross Vehicle Weight or vehicles carrying 16 passengers or more have the option of using AutoSock™ rather than chains. This traction control device is a fabric that slips over a vehicle’s outer driving wheels, providing extra traction on snowy and icy roads. It also can be installed over the tire in less time than traditional chains."
Anyone have firsthand experience with the Autosock? Please comment.

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

I have a set for my F150 and used them once trying to pull another car out of the ditch. They got the other rig out of the ditch but minor spinning resulted in some damage to the "socks". Not sure how much more "use" is left in them.

For short distance they would be fine but I don't think they would hold up to very many miles. Get you out of a trouble spot - yes. Long distance - NO.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I used them for the first time a couple of weeks ago, they sure worked great, I only used them for about 15-20 miles but it was icey as heck and they worked well... they are easy to put on and the main thing you need to worry about is not going to fast because you cant feel them like chains. they are great to keep in the truck because they are legal most places that require them and they go on very fast

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1400760/IMG_3316.jpg

I have a set for my F150 and used them once trying to pull another car out of the ditch. They got the other rig out of the ditch but minor spinning resulted in some damage to the "socks". Not sure how much more "use" is left in them.

For short distance they would be fine but I don't think they would hold up to very many miles. Get you out of a trouble spot - yes. Long distance - NO.

Lenp

I don't think they are designed to be of aid pulling something that would most certainly overload your tow capacity for that short time you may need to to resolve the "Stuck" situation. Any spinning with them would be key to an early failure. Same goes with the chains, but they may be more forgiving. One of these days I may try them on my non HDT but with the truck I will stay parked until the roads are dry. (I Hope).

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

They dont do well with tire spin, I destroyed a set on my fl50 trying to get unstuck because we could not get them on with out spinning the tires and they got chewed up. I dont see how they would reduce your capacity towing capacity, they are designed for use use on class 8 trucks and provide the same or better traction than tire chains

There are a lot of several states that require you carry them even if it is not snowy, These are much easier than snow chains. every time i have needed them I had to put them on to get off the road, they look like new other than they get dirty and they dont chew up the tires like chains do

• 1 month later...

I purchased a set of AutoSocks and was very glad I did.

We got caught in some snowy weather on Cerro and Monarch passes returning from Moab via Hwy 50.

Twice we came to a complete stops, put the AutoSocks on and pulled right back on road with no issues.

Our traveling partner had chains and they did not seem to work as well.

Picture of our friends getting into the guardrail on Cerro pass.

11703102_10208949283118780_3274448084529

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

I purchased a set of AutoSocks and was very glad I did.

We got caught in some snowy weather on Cerro and Monarch passes returning from Moab via Hwy 50.

Twice we came to a complete stops, put the AutoSocks on and pulled right back on road with no issues.

Our traveling partner had chains and they did not seem to work as well.

Picture of our friends getting into the guardrail on Cerro pass.

11703102_10208949283118780_3274448084529Good to Know. WOuld have stopped and waited it out I think.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Another more spendy option are drop down chains. Used to be about 4k$. They act as a flail. A search will bring them up. I'm the same, no room for conventional chains.

You might be thinking of the OnSpot chains. I'd heard they were more like $1600 for an axle (assuming an existing air system to tie into). Fire departments love them, and apparently plenty of school systems love them enough to put them on school buses. First real fire I ever got to respond to was one of those "rain in freezing temps after 3" of snow during the day" nights, and between OnSpots and Jon Braman driving, WCEC's Engine 2-3 got there first and I got to enjoy the challenge of pulling a "snake" with a mind of its own over the same icy-topped snow...

I am putting on-spots on my 660. They worked great on our engines, tankers, rescue and doc in the box rigs. Figure they would do well on the HD as well. I do carry a set of V cable "chains" and they have been great. But for intermediate use, the flick of a switch is much nicer. The down side is with prolonged use they will damage the side wall of the inner dual.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived