Tire Monitors on DRW?

Carol2c

Hi,

We just bought a set of 6 (TMPS) tire pressure monitors. We want to put them on our DRW F350.

I am sure this will be no problem yet DH is seeking confirmation from anyone that has installed a tire monitor system on all 6 tires on a DRW/ Dually.

Thank you for your assistance .

Carol

I have tried several ways to make it easy to use our Pressure Pro sensors and access the inside valve stem on our 2007 and now 2014 F350s. I came to the conclusion the best solution for me was to have the outside dual wheel rotated 180 degrees so the two valve stems are not together. I just reach in the outside wheel access hole to get to the inside valve stem. I only need to adjust the air pressure twice a year and if I can't get my hand in the access hole my wife can. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We have the TST TPMS on our 2014 DRV. I added TST sensors to our 2013 F350 DRW in 2013. The flow-thru style that is on the rig will not fit the dually aluminium wheels. I went with the non-flow thru that must be removed to add air. I had to remove the theft protection device to make them fit. The inside wheel is a little tough to get at. But, I manage to add air as needed. Happy with the product.

2014 DRV Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

2013 Ford F350

http://where-rv-going.blogspot.com

We had Pressure Pros on our Dodge dually. However, we had specialty long, metal tire stems (NOT extenders!) on all six tires, so it made it a snap to put them on, even on the inside dually. We got our specialty tire stems from the Tireman in Ridgecrest, CA, but they are available elsewhere.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I have tried several ways to make it easy to use our Pressure Pro sensors and access the inside valve stem on our 2007 and now 2014 F350s. I came to the conclusion the best solution for me was to have the outside dual wheel rotated 180 degrees so the two valve stems are not together. I just reach in the outside wheel access hole to get to the inside valve stem. I only need to adjust the air pressure twice a year and if I can't get my hand in the access hole my wife can. Greg

It's surprising how many so-called tire shops do not know dual wheels are supposed to be mounted on the axle with valve stems 180* apart. One place argued with me, but I insisted. A few days later I printed out the page stating that from Michelin and handed it to the shop manager the next time I passed near his store.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have six TPMS sensors on my 2005 Dodge Dually. I had to remove the wheel covers to be able to reach inside to install them (with the special tighening tool). But, no problem otherwise.

The pain is getting the proper air in the tire (unless you have the flow-through sensors) because you might lose a few pounds releasing some air if it leaks while tightening.

As said, in the end, it's probably easiest to just jack up the truck and remove the outer wheel, making sure the air pressure is correct on the dashboard display (NOT YOUR TIRE GAUGE) before putting the wheel back in place. I found there to be a difference between a tire gauge and the display so, use your sensors as the gauge. On and off, on and off, until you have the tire pressure where you want it on the dashboard display.

If you are a real purist about the exact PSI, you better park your truck in total shade a long time before pressuring. Just having one tire in the sun will change the pressure by a few pounds.

When towing my boat behind my camper, I can't see the tires on the trailer. So, I just move the two sensors from the truck's front tires to the boat trailer's tires. I'm going to KNOW if I get a low tire on the truck, but not so with the hidden trailer. I love the TPMS.

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to have the rubber valve stems replaced with steel ones, as the TPMS sensors have some weight to them. I have seen one person who had put sections of properly fitting hose over the stems to keep them from moving with the weight.

2014 Redwood 36RE

2013 RAM SLT DRW, Cummins, ASIN

2001 Dodge SLT Cummins

That's what we did when we had our 1996 Dodge 3500 and it made it so much easier. When we bought our 2015 Ram 3500, it came with a tpms system and since you can't have both theirs and an external tpms we could not use our TST on the truck. I do wish we could {& I'm sure that there is a way to completely remove their system} as I love being able to monitor pressures & temperature at the same time. Hugs, Di

I have braided metal hose valve extenders and the sensors are located on the center metal cap on the outside. Very easy to use.

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Be sure to have the rubber valve stems replaced with steel ones, as the TPMS sensors have some weight to them. I have seen one person who had put sections of properly fitting hose over the stems to keep them from moving with the weight.

Not also there are steel valve stems that are covered with rubber mot bare like we normally see. make sure what you have or buying.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Archived