Ready to buy and go...

trishb

Okay, day finally arrived.....let the buying begin. Class C is best bet it seems for single senior gal. Storage will be a priority as full time is what i want to do. Not new yet but close to it...oh the camper, not me. Any wonderful tidbits, advice, just plain thoughts so very selcome and much appreciated.

Thanks

We have a large 31' class c. Watch the storage, very easy to overload it so most everything you buy (pots and pans etc) should be able to do double duty and as light as possible. We never run with more than 5 gallons of fresh water and never any black or grey. Most of basement storage is 1/2 used due to weight considerations. Other than that, enjoy your new adventure. We spend 4-5 months a year in ours and love being out in it.

Dave

It does sound like you understand the issues. Class C is great and storage is the issue...much like pull trailers. You will have to travel very light and take few things with you. Do you plan to tow a car? Just wondering. Have fun.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Hmmmm? Full time in a Class C? What about considering a well taken care of used Class A? Not much of a price differential, and you'll get more storage, better livability, and you'll probably be able to pull a towed without too much trouble.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

One thing I noticed about Class C's. Manufacturers will build several different sizes on the same chassis. For example, you may choose a 26' coach over a 30' one built on the same chassis. You give up living space but gain in cargo carrying capacity. There are many Class C's out there towing toads, shouldn't be a problem.

Just do your research.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Had not considered Class A but will. I knew this would be a place to steer me in tne best direction.....

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and support so do not hesitate to join into any of the discussions or to start your own when you have a question of comment.

While we lived in a class A when fulltime, I only partially agree with the statement that the class A is better as you do need to compare more than just one or two. There are a few class C RVs that are built for fulltimers such as those from Lazy Daze and from Born Free, but in general a class A will have more storage space and weight capacity. Having driven both, I also feel that the class A almost always has better visibility of things around you due to the wider driver's area when compared to the class C. Either one of them really need a camera for rear vision and many do have them installed.

One thing I noticed about Class C's. Manufacturers will build several different sizes on the same chassis. For example, you may choose a 26' coach over a 30' one built on the same chassis. You give up living space but gain in cargo carrying capacity.

This is true of class A motorhomes as well, and especially so for those with gas chassis and the lower price grouping of the diesel pushers. Just like in automobiles, as you get to the most expensive models the quality usually goes up and the load capacity increases. Be very aware of the weight limits and capacities as you shop. If you don't understand them now, here is a good place to get a basic explanation of those weight limit meanings.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you plan to tow a daily driver, become aware of GCWR, which is gross combined weight rating. Sometimes the weight of the towed vehicle means you cannot carry quite as much in the motorhome.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My suggestion is to travel as light as possible, especially in the beginning. A lot of the stuff that I was told I really had to have turned out to be stuff I did not need or use. That was especially true for kitchen stuff and clothing. For example, if you use a crock pot weekly, then by all means take one you currently own, but if you don't own one, don't go out and buy one. And if you only use a crock pot twice a year, you can probably give it to Goodwill!

It is best to make do with what you currently have. Then as you discover you need things, you can buy them on the road.

And don't let anyone tell you that you absolutely have to have anything!

Good luck and have fun, from another single, older lady!

My suggestion is to travel as light as possible, especially in the beginning. A lot of the stuff that I was told I really had to have turned out to be stuff I did not need or use. That was especially true for kitchen stuff and clothing. For example, if you use a crock pot weekly, then by all means take one you currently own, but if you don't own one, don't go out and buy one. And if you only use a crock pot twice a year, you can probably give it to Goodwill!

It is best to make do with what you currently have. Then as you discover you need things, you can buy them on the road.

And don't let anyone tell you that you absolutely have to have anything!

Good luck and have fun, from another single, older lady!

X2.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived