No Air

rider10099

Below freezing? Look for low spots in the air system that might have an ice plug. A bit of heat will open most plugs in your lines up, a hair dryer is plenty.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

i second that the air governor (or compressor un-loader) would be my first guess

a little heat (if its below freezing) and/or a light tap with a (small :P ) hammer does sometimes wonders to all kinds of stubborn things

" Diamonds R 4 ever " driver.gif

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold
current project; 1952 Diamond T, Cummins 8.3l @ 375hp/ 800ft lbs
, single axle, 239" WB, 1954 Spartan 137" air ride sleeper ....

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

Hi John, I have a 99 model 610 with a Cummins so I can't say exactly how your truck air system is plumbed. If yours is anything like mine, I'm thinking you should have an approx. 3/4" flexible line leading from your air compressor. The compressor is mounted on side of your engine near the front. With your engine idling, you can crack open this large air line fitting at the compressor. If your air governor is working and telling the compressor to pump air, you'll get lots of air spewing from this fitting. If no air here... then suspect air governor, or possibly bad compressor. (Let's hope not this). The air governor is an easy and cheap fix. (See youtube videos)

If you've got good air at compressor... follow this large line down under the truck to your frame mounted air drier. Crack open this line where it goes into the drier (the thing that looks like a large upside down spin-on oil filter). If you're not getting a lot of air out here then you know this main line is stopped up. Look at this line closely to make sure it runs down at a fairly straight angle from up at the compressor. If it has any pronounced dips in it, this is likely where condensation has accumulated and is now frozen and stopped up the line.

If compressed air is getting to the air drier, crack open the fitting on the large line leaving the air drier and check for air leaving the drier and going over to your "wet tank". If no high pressure air leaving the drier.... then either your drier is frozen with too much trapped moisture or has just gone bad. These are the first steps we always take here in the Kentucky coalfields in Winter to troubleshoot the dreaded "No Air At Startup" after the trucks have sat overnight in freezing weather.

I've never looked at the Volvo ved engine, but it shouldn't be too different from the Cummins, Macks, and Cats around here. Hope this helps you troubleshoot your problem. Now if you tell me your truck is somewhere nice and warm and it can't be ice.... forget everything I just said.

Ed

John, I sincerely hope it is something simple. But, I had the same issue this summer and ended up replacing the compressor. The problem was in the compressor head (valve body) but time, rebuilding, etc. made it easier to just put on a new compressor. On the D12 you have a steel line from the compressor that comes around the front of the engine and runs to the back on the driver's side. It is all in plain view. On that steel line is a valve where you can check for air pressure. If the compressor is OK regardless of what else may be wrong you WILL have pressure on the steel line at the valve. No pressure...... well, that ain't good.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• 4 months later...

Without a picture it's a guess but your air dryer could be in that area and does look like a very large filter. Keep in mind most air dryers get the signal to purge from the air governor. As suggested look at your air governor or just replace it first. They should be less than 20 bucks new.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

John, email me the picture and I will post it for you.

carp4339 at yahoo dot com

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet. Glad ya got it fixed.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission