anyone know about Java "scratchpad"?

Ray,IN

Just tonight my computer (W 8.1) began suddenly displaying a pop-up for Java scratchpad when I begin typing. If I'm not paying attention to the screen, when I do look up I'm typing in scratchpad. Anyone know WTH is happening?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I just disabled Java add-on for FireFox 43.0.4, and it isn't appearing now. Guess I'll have website issues now?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

I don't have Java on any of my systems and never want for it. The only thing that needed it was our check scanning program from our bank who have since switched to phone only deposits.

Go ahead, uninstall it and then if you ever need it download, use, uninstall.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks Derek, I'll do that tonight. It's seems strange I've had the Java add-on ever since I installed FireFox and it just a few days ago began the scratchpad pop-up.

UPDATE: I deleted Java from this computer, ran CCleaner to remove left-over files (5), restarted machine. Java scratchpad still pops-up at my first keystroke in this reply box. I ran a search for Java scratchpad in the programs and features of control panel - no results.

I had forgot to delete and re-install the Java add-on in FF, just performed that, now to see it if fixed this issue.

> Nope no joy.

I found how to fix this on the mozilla.org help pages. It said to delete browsing history, saved webpage history, etc. I did, it did. Problem solved. Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

Archived