Can a slide problem really be fixed

Backpacker

Upon a pre-purchase inspection of a used but low mileage 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C today I discovered that the large living area slide made a very loud pop when it was retracted. Looking at the bottom exterior of the extended slide I saw a minor indention in the seal at the middle (from front to back). The seller, a small dealer with no service department who took the Bounder on a trade-in told me it was fixable. I will be a full timer using a Bounder for a significant amount of boondocking and am concerned about even a "repaired" slide might be a chronic problem.

Can a slide problem of this nature be reliably fixed? In the event it turned out to be a chronic problem, can anyone assign a cost estimate to a reliable repair?

Thanks for you input,

Robert Guild

Look under the slide as so,done brings it in. You may need another brace at either end. If it drops down too much it will catch the floor as it comes in instead of riding up smoothly.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Anything can be properly fixed, but to know what it will take requires knowing exactly what is wrong. If the seller won't/can't take the initiative to get it fixed then consideration for that should be a part of the sale price.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

You might hit a larger population of Bounder (Fleetwood) owners by posting under the Fleetwood IRV2 Owners section. Provide the specifics of the coach year and model, and description of the problem. They should be able to tell you if this an ongoing repetitive problem affecting many coaches.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/

It could be an out of alignment. A damaged slide mechanism. A loose series of bolts. An out of balance condition between hydraulics, if it is hydraulic - or - electric solenoids, if it is all electric. So from not fixable as good as it is, to completely fixable and never worry about it again - depending upon many factors:)!

For sure, I would want it well documented on any sals receipt, whom is responsible for the resolution of the slide repair. If you find it is a chronic problem, keep on looking for a different coach.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The Dutchman factory service manager told me very few dealership RV technicians really know how to work on or adjust a slide mechanism properly because they seldom get to work on one. Ask questions of whoever you contact.

In your case I would hire a mobile RV tech to inspect the slide sound cause, BEFORE purchase.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 months later...

We had an old 5er with slides that operated by turning large threaded rods in a round tube. When the slide wouldn't come in or go out without help I took the tubes apart and cleaned and lubed them. Problem solved. Before that we kept turning up the amp sensors until it just wouldn't do it any longer.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived