VNL62 vs VNL64

mrrrl2

From my understanding the only difference is the VNL62 has one drive axle while the VNL64 has two. So is it much simpler to single a VNL62?

And if not singling, how detrimental is having only one drive axle?

Didn't find anything about this in the resource guide.

When I was tandem and drove commercially the only time I engaged the power divider was when trying to get moving in slippery conditions (read snow). I know someone with a Freightliner with the tandem axle single drive and he says he doesn't notice any difference in drivability. I think it would make an excellent hauler if you found one.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

There are a few significant differences. A few are:

• A factory single usually has a higher GAWR rating on the drive axle
  • A single axle will feel things like speed bumps, RR tracks, potholes,etc. a lot stronger. A tandem tends to crawl over them. Notice how it feels to cross a speed bump with your truck's steer axle (doesn't much matter what brand truck). In a single, that is what it feels like for the rear, too.
  • Less braking and steering rubber on the ground.
  • Half the air capacity of a tandem air suspension rear system so the individual bags are harder for the same weight.

Not everyone agrees on all of these nor on how important they are. Only you can do your own research to meet your anticipated comfort zone with all this.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Budd, he is not talking about a single rear axle, he is talking about tandems where only one of the axles is a drive axle.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Both 5er and Stekay are correct. The VNL62's I have seen are all tandems with the first axle being driven. i just dont know what is lost in this configuration. Nigel and Budd did have good points.

Other then rear drive configuration, there is no difference between the 62 and 64?

Thanks

A VNL62 is a single axle...

For clarification, a VNL42 is a single axle truck. A VNL62 is a tandem truck where the rear axle has no driveshaft connected to it and is unpowered. It is only there for load carrying and braking. These would be easy to single short. Unbolt the rear axle and you're done.

A VNL62 seems to be a rare beast. I see tons of ads where the truck is listed as a 'VNL62' but looking at the pictures reveals it is really a VNL64. I have yet to see a real VNL62 in ads or in person.

A VNL62 seems to be a rare beast. I see tons of ads where the truck is listed as a 'VNL62' but looking at the pictures reveals it is really a VNL64. I have yet to see a real VNL62 in ads or in person.

I've also never seen a "real" VNL62....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFoUEqhH0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW-Peo4nuj8

I suspect it's a poor choice for the typical HDT w/ Smart application, as I doubt the lift axle control system knows how to read the front axle loading. With the front axle set up in a hybrid leaf spring plus air bag setup, the front air bag pressure is far less indicative of actual axle loading, and therefore not monitored in the lift axle control system. Putting a Smart car on the bed of a truck that's effectively singled long won't put as much weight on the driven axle, so the control system never thinks it needs to activate the lifted axle. The system is built with an expectation of typical linehaul applications: 10k empty, 12k loaded on the steer, 9k empty on the drive axle, 4k pin weight of an empty trailer, 26k pin weight of a loaded trailer, with a pin placement in the general vicinity of the drive axles.

No, Volvo adaptive loading was just release this year (see below). The VNL62 I see are on Truck Paper, etc., are much older units. The VNL62 seem a bit less in price when everything else is equal, I believe due to the rear drive configuration. I was just trying to figure out other than the rear drive configuration if the rest of the HDT is the same. I suspect it is but wanted to see if anyone had first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Volvo launches Adaptive Loading 6x2 axle arrangement
26/08/2015 12:08 GMT
Volvo's latest effort at improving fuel economy for the medium heavy commercial sector was recently introduced to
media, after a reveal at the Mid-America Trucking Show in March 2015, reports Trucking Info. The Adaptive Loading
system is a 6x2 arrangement with a pusher axle rather than a tag. The pusher axle is liftable, which can turn the
tractor into a 4x2 setup for lightly loaded or empty conditions. According to Trucking Info, Adaptive Loading uses an
electronically controlled tractor air suspension that senses vehicle weight through the air pressure in the suspension.
When the truck is empty or lightly loaded the system lifts the forward pusher axle and lets the rear drive axle bear the
weight. When the truck is loaded and the liftable axle is down, the system will bias the suspension pressure toward
the driving axle for better traction, as well as further biasing the suspension pressure toward the rear axle when
additional traction is required. Chris Stadler, Volvo Truck's product marking manager for regional haul said, "Fleets
participating in our initial trials are reporting fuel economy improvements in the range of 3% to 5%. They also reported
better tire wear on the drive axle, which in a 6x2 arrangement is often worse than in a 6x4 arrangement."
Significance: Volvo says the option assists bulk haulers and other fleets that run a high percentage of empty or
lightly loaded miles, which can cause irregular tyre wear due to the light loads, as fully inflated tyres tend to bounce
along the road. Cost of ownership and operation is key to the trucking industry. Volvo says the system went into
limited production late in 2014, and will be in full production by January 2016. Volvo trucks are offered in the Class 8
segment in the US, with IHS forecasting the company's sales at about 27,500 units in 2015, falling further in the
forecast as Class 8 sees ongoing decline. Class 8 sales are forecast to fall from 245,500 units in 2015 to 196,000
units in 2018, with Volvo securing about 11% of the market.

Truckpaper ads are so prone to errors in model numbers. You are much better off finding a dealer that knows ant you want and let them search for it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Very popular in Europe, just catching on here. The FedEx depot here has a few, but we rarely get bad weather so it's a pretty safe place for a trial if that's what they're doing.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived