Tow set-up

maggie blair

I just bought a 2007 Class A Fleetwood Fiesta 26 ft motorhome. My tow car will be a 2013 Honda Fit. could anyone suggest a tow set-up for my rig?

Also, it has a V8 Vortec engine. Does anyone know what type of mileage I can expect?

Thanks so much for any suggestions anyone has.

Maggie

Maggie Blair

On towing equipment, you will need to have a base plate installed on to the Honda as that is the attaching point for any tow bar. Then select the tow bar and I would go with the same manufacturer for each. I happen to have had excellent service from these products by Blue Ox, but Roadmaster has an equally good reputation. In addition, you need to have some type of auxiliary brake system to apply the brakes of the Honda in an emergency stop or if it should come detached from the motorhome. I liked and used the one from Brake Buddy, but there are at least a dozen good choices for this.

You will also need to have brake lights and turn signals on the Honda when under tow and that can be done by using magnetic light kits, by adding lights permanently on the Honda, or with a kit that allows the existing marker lights to be used. Any of the three can work very well but the first is least expensive and easily done. With some skills you could install the separate, permanently mounted lights which some of us do or you can have the shop that installs your base plate also install a light kit to use the existing ones. I am sure that you will get several different opinions about which is best.

On the mileage you can expect, if you have already traveled with the Fiesta but not towing, you should get nearly the same mileage as you got without towing as the Fit is a light car that tows easily. My best guess would be to expect between 7 and 9 mpg, depending upon how you drive and a host of other things. Jackrabbit starts, hard stops, and high speeds all cost you fuel, but adding the weight of the Fit should decrease what you are getting now by about 10%.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here's a post I did a few years ago on my toad setup (and step-by-step instructions for how to hook up your toad to your RV each time you travel).
http://winnieviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/girls-guide-to-rving-with-toad.html

Both Blue Ox and Roadmaster are very well regarded and robust systems. I really like the Blue Ox baseplates as the main crossbar for the toad is part of the baseplate itself and stays permanently installed, hidden behind the front bumper on the toad (rather than Roadmaster system which just installs 2 smaller brackets to the toad and then requires the crossbar be added/removed to in front of the toad's bumper each time you tow). I suppose on some toads, the Roadmaster system might be preferable, but I personally like not having to deal with that big crossbar (or finding a place to stow it when not in use).

Lynne

2007 Winnebago View 23J

2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2

Blog: WinnieViews

Facebook Page : WinnieViews

. The tires look new, but I think they are about 6 years old.

Sitting still is worse for tires in terms of useful mileage than is constant travel. If you have owned the RV for most of that time and you know that the tires have been kept properly inflated (according to the tire weight/inflation tables from the tire manufacturer) then you could probably use them safely for another year or two, but most of us agree that tires need to be replaced due to age at somewhere between 5 & 10 years old. When you do not know the history of the tires there is inherent risk of a blowout on the road.

most of us agree that tires need to be replaced due to age at somewhere between 5 & 10 years old. When you do not know the history of the tires there is inherent risk of a blowout on the road.

Kirk is stretching it again. Most of us would not risk tires beyond 7 years and 5 years is the limit for many of us. After all, it is our lives depending on those tires. How much is your life worth to you?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Kirk is stretching it again. Most of us would not risk tires beyond 7 years and 5 years is the limit for many of us. After all, it is our lives depending on those tires. How much is your life worth to you?

..... I'm not quite sure just how to take this, but must wonder just what she is implying?

While I tend to go to the conservative side and replace my tires at 7 years if I have owned them the entire time and at 5 if not, there are plenty of members of these forums who do not agree. Tire manufacturers now warrant some types of tire for as long as 10 years. In motorhome tires, there are not tires that are specially compounded for use on motorhomes from Goodyear, Michelin, and possibly one of two others. Both of those tires are warranted for 10 years, but while I have run the Goodyear version, I have never pushed mine as far as the 10 years and probably would not do so, but it has been reported here that some people have.

One thing that I do believe is that tires are not a good place to choose to save money. I buy what I believe to be the very best tire available for the purpose. Linda & I do agree that tires are a safety issue and should not be ignored. I also suggest that you be very particular about proper inflation and maintenance of your tires. A blown tire can do major damage to the RV at highway speeds, even if you do manage to stop the RV safely.

Linda Sand

​New tires today and now onward for the toad setup. WOW lots to do and lots of $$$ for lots of fun.

Maggie Blair

Archived