Replacing heater hoses to rear

On The Road

I just finished replacing the heater hoses going to the rear. I did not have a leak but the original metal pipe really looked bad. Not a bad job with all the side cowlings off and the cowlings are not that hard to remove. I also patched an exhaust leak. I used silicone 3/4" blue silicone heater hose. Kind of pricey, took two pcs 10 feet each. I did not remove the old heater runs just in case I have to hook them back up in an emergency.

Jim

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

Did you have valves on those hoses? Was just wondering because all the trucks I have driven have had a valve on both hoses, so you can shut it off if the heater hose starts to leak.

Did not have valves, all original. I probable should have added a shut off but did not. Would be easy to add one on each hose. Wish I had a shut off for the main heater hoses so I could shut them off in the summer. Might make the ac work a bit better.

Jim

If I could find the proper place to put a shut off for the cab heat I would install one. Would I need one or two shutoffs? I fully intend to do that. Has any of the other Volvos out there have a shut off for the cab heat and if so where is it installed?

Jim

If I could find the proper place to put a shut off for the cab heat I would install one. Would I need one or two shutoffs? I fully intend to do that. Has any of the other Volvos out there have a shut off for the cab heat and if so where is it installed?

Jim

I put one ball valve shut off right where the heater line dips under the R front frame rail, spliced it right in the hose w/clamps. I can reach it w/o opening the hood.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Wow. Thats interesting about only one shut off? There is a line that goes to the heater and one that returns. Every truck I have drove has a shut off on both hoses.

In the last few months I have had 2 heater hose failures, and have had to shut both valves off to stop the flow to make it back to the shop.

Maybe closing 1 valve off will stop the heat, but if a hose is blown you need to shut off both hoses? Or maybe they have check valves at the block for the returns?

Two shut offs are better ,it would save the coolant and a trip.School buses have a different priority - keeping the cab as cool as possible.

Depends what the goal is ,cool cab or keep on going down the road .Only two will allow you to keep on going .

A cooler cab only needs one.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Anyone with 1 valve better look again. The heater circulation is dependent on pressure differential, and a check valve will have a pressure drop across it, thus reducing flow. Cummins uses a 90* valve with a wire cross-handle. One on the supply and one on the return.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have two lever style ball shut off valves for the cab and rear heater. They are located just underneath the air filter on the right side. They were easy to install and easy to get to if needed. I'd say it's a smart move...

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Archived