DirectTV San Diego DNS beam to Yuma?

We will be spending two months in Yuma, and the DW asked me if the San Diego DNS feed beam would also cover Yuma.

We've been surprised while traveling in Colorado and South Dakota, at how wide the coverage area was at times...

Has anyone any experience or opinions on this?

And yeah, suppose we will find out for sure when we arrive:)!

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The correct term is San Diego spot beam. DirecTV DNS is New York or Los Angeles.

It looks like Yuma is on the edge of the San Diego spot beam.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks to you both! We're west coast DNS feed, and appreciate you reminding me of the proper buzzword. I'm embarrassed to admit that on an earlier thread on this forum, I saved a link that talked about different coverage areas... (Duh moment on that one!).

Think we'll reactivate our service with a San Diego address, and see what we see when we get to Yuma. Can always change it at that time if needed.

Best to you both,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Your DNS feed works all over the country. So if you are as far north in Maine as you can go you'll get the west coast DNS feed. With DNS your service address, to my knowledge,never changes as it is, again to my knowledge, based on your billing address. However we are grandfather with both east and west and never change anything. If we want local for some reason we just crank up the OTA

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Your DNS feed works all over the country. So if you are as far north in Maine as you can go you'll get the west coast DNS feed. With DNS your service address, to my knowledge,never changes as it is, again to my knowledge, based on your billing address. However we are grandfather with both east and west and never change anything. If we want local for some reason we just crank up the OTA

My understanding on DNS, and what I have experienced this 1st year of usage, is that upon signing up, you get assigned either a West or East coast feed. Our legal address for the account is Box Elder near Raid City, SD - and that was assigned a West Coast feed. But, as for 'local station content', you can call or do online chat, and change your 'service address' based upon where you are at that time. So if in say the Denver area for a few weeks, you can call and change the 'service address' to the park your staying at. While I still get the West Coast feed, I do also get some local channel content our of the Denver area.

My question was in regards to the spot beam from San Diego area, as my DW wanted to know if she could watch Local Station content from San Diego while in the Yuma area.

While I'm sure I may not have the exact buzzwords, I'm pretty positive I got he gist of the nuances correct. I could have done a must better job on asking my question...

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty,

Your DW is referring to San Diego "local" channels. Completely different from the DNS. And since Yuma is so close to San Diego I'd think you will have no trouble getting the San Diego "locals". We have "locals" for the Bakersfield area and are able to get them as far north as San Jose / San Francisco area. So if my reception is anything like yours you should be all set. Good luck. We'll be in Yuma for the month of February. Hope we get some nice weather. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Link to spot beams for Dish Network for all the states.

For just San Diego. Click on "spotbeam 39" to see the graphic display of the spotbeam.

Yuma is well within the green circle of the spot beam. I am usually able to pick up standard definition channels out to the yellow circle. Sometimes even HD channels as well.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Link to spot beams for Dish Network for all the states.

For just San Diego. Click on "spotbeam 39" to see the graphic display of the spotbeam.

Yuma is well within the green circle of the spot beam. I am usually able to pick up standard definition channels out to the yellow circle. Sometimes even HD channels as well.

The OP said he had DNS and it can only begotten by using DirecTV. So the Dish network spot beams won't help him much.

Here is a old DirecTV spot Beam Map

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Yep, it was Biker56 that provided the link I had saved earlier this year... and then did the Duh! moment and forgot I had it... Got to go now, if I can find where I placed my keys. And of course, better do the final walk by the mirror, be be sure I've got my pants on too:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Spot beams are pretty hard for me to figure out. My DirecTv account is The Wash. D.C. area. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC and I'm still getting D.C. local's, and was also watching them this summer in Maine as far north as 20 miles south of the Canadian border. That's a pretty big spot beam.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Spot beams are pretty hard for me to figure out. My DirecTv account is The Wash. D.C. area. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC and I'm still getting D.C. local's, and was also watching them this summer in Maine as far north as 20 miles south of the Canadian border. That's a pretty big spot beam.

The Spot Beam Map that Biker56 is a good visual of the Spot Beams.... Made it so simple that I understood it:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

You should easily get the San Diego spot beam in Yuma. I will post more on Directv spot beams when I am on my laptop.

For 3 1/2 years we changed our Directv locals and planned our changes using the spot beam maps at this site: http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/184044-interactive-beam-footprint-library-update-10212015/ You need to have Google Earth installed on your device to open them. Our experience with a Travler was that you usually got signal out to about the yellow oval of each spot beam. And at times in fringe areas you might get some channels in SD when you couldn't in HD and vice versa. There is a lot of other great info on the dbstalk site like which channels in each market are on what satellite and transponder. We avoided the cost of of DNS and the changes were handled with 5 minute phone calls, but we did try to limit our changes. It helped that we were traveling in mainly north south loops each years rather than running east/west across the country. We didn't record many "network" shows so the DVR programming wasn't a big issue. Changing locals isn't for everyone, but within our budget we simply had other higher priorities for our limited funds. And I actually rather enjoyed learning more about the whole local markets/spot beam process and proving that one could make changing locals with Directv work. Over our tenure as full timers, several people contacted me for help with the changing locals process. I can still offer help as needed.

Archived