Teton 5th Wheel Question

gdafoe

I understand that 2006 and earlier are the better Tetons. What a was changed after 2006 that resulted in lower quality? Can someone explain the different Teton model names and which ones are the higher end ones. I looks like the Limited is the top of the line, is that true?

Gerald and Linda

I'm not familiar with any Teton model being named "Limited". Their top tier models were always, to my knowledge, the "Royal" line.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I don't know for sure but I suspect that since the bankrupt plan was probably know at the factory, the general construction quality of the units suffered. My 2007 had a long list of discrepancies that were worked off at the Casper, WY dealer (not the factory). After my shake down run I returned to Casper and the dealer took care of most of the gripes. I had some repaired in Houston and in Wilmington, NC. unfortunately, at Wilmington I ran up a $600.00 warranty bill, paid in cash to be reimbursed by Teton. Never happened, as that was when they went belly up. As far as models go, top of the line is known as "Royal" and then like mine the "Experience". There was also a 32 footer "Phoenix" with a 102" width. The Royal line had 9 models, the Experience had 13, including 33' , 36' 39' and 40 '. Some custom units were made over 40' by special order.

I am on my second Teton Homes rig so you may judge if I was happy with the first one. I am enjoying all the "new" stuff - hydraulic slides, electric over hydraulic disk brakes, pendant control for the hydraulic front and rear legs. Every time I watch the new RV shows on TV I realize just how much extra charge stuff came on my Teton. Wouldn't trade for most rigs on the market today. only major problem has been the dome motorized KVH roof mounted satellite dish. Nearly every one I have talked to says it is a piece if junk, and I have to agree.

I have has a fair amount of problems with the G rated tires. I replaced them on the 1997 rig with 17.5" wheels and tires and should do so on this one.

Hope this helps.

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

gdafoe, on 08 Dec 2015 - 5:02 PM, said:

I understand that 2006 and earlier are the better Tetons. What a was changed after 2006 that resulted in lower quality? Can someone explain the different Teton model names and which ones are the higher end ones. I looks like the Limited is the top of the line, is that true?

Teton was sold to Webster Capital in 2005. I believe that's when the quality started going down. Teton's demise was in 2008. You can read a history of Teton plus other now-defunct RV manufacturers (through 2008) at http://rvresolve.blogspot.com/2008/11/history-of-recent-rv-coach-closings.html.

I don't know anything about Teton's different models; however, the Teton Club International, has a section with 20 years of Teton brochures (1988 through 2008) that may be of some help in answering this question for you: http://www.tetoners.org/Brochure_Main.html

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We have a 2003 Grand Freedom. It is just shy of 40'. Great unit. Never a problem with us and orginal owner never had problems. We did replace an ac due to a condensation problem.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My wife and I were considering buying a Teton in 2007, went to the factory for the tour, and also spent time at the Teton dealer in Casper, who was also a Newmar 5th wheel dealer at the time.

During our factory tour, I asked what their employee turnover was, since there was a labor shortage in that area at the time as a result of the oil industry boom, and while I don't remember the exact answer, it was exceptionally high, something like 300%. There was no way that I wanted our new 5th wheel being built by trainees!

Then, when we looked at the Tetons side by side with Newmars on the dealer's lot, the inferior quality of the Tetons was abundantly evident. That sealed the deal as far as what we intended to buy - the Newmar Kountry Aire - and I have never regretted our decision.

• 5 years later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:03 AM, flkylady said:

im looking to maybe purchase a teton 5th wheel but hear the company went out of business. where would you buy parts for these...? if so?

Agree with Glenn.  Keep in mind most companies did mostly assembly of materials and parts to come up with their units.  Of course the outside skin is unique as is the quality of the parts they used to assemble each model.  I have a 2008 Experience.  I find it better quality than the previous Alfa and DRV 5ers I had.  

Marcel