Air Line Parts Needed

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a feeling that this question has been answered before. But I have not had any luck finding what I need. I did a search in the resource guide with no luck. I need to find a fitting that is 90* elbow. I do not what to bend the line to make the 90*. The line is going to coming up thru the floor at the rear of the cab and go to the front of the cab. This line is going to be used for the air hitch. What type of fitting would be best ? Do I use a standard fitting ( a fitting that you need to push the ring to release the line) or is it better to get a fitting what uses a ferrule. I can remember reading something about fittings having the word DOT on them. Do I need to look for this word on the fittings that I want to use ? What would be my best option ?

I am looking for opinions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Personally I prefer to replace fittings with one that does use a ferrule. Every fitting I have ever had to replace have been push-in type fittings. I will say the ones I had to replace have been plastic and the issue could be more about the fact the plastic has dried out and is getting brittle and less about being the push in types.

I will admit my fittings kit that I keep in the truck is all the push in plastic types. They are quick and easy. They are also great for those hard to reach places that you can not see in to very easily or get a wrench in to.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I also try to only use the brass DOT fittings with the plastic air lines. This way if it's leaking I can tighten it up. It is my understanding that the DOT fittings have the built in insert that goes inside the air line as you push it in. This insert is what the ferrule crushes down on to make the seal. The ones like you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot without the insert are made for copper lines or other metal lines. NAPA stores carry the DOT type. Hope this helps.

Ed

Agree with above Al. I try to use the ferruled brass where possible. What size 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"? Here is a site that sells them. Look for Parker or good name brand and as said above be sure they are for nylon airline NOT copper.

http://brassfittings.midamericafittings.com/product/r-nylon-tubing-air-brake-fittings-for-nylon-tubing/air-brake-fittings-elbow

Can also be found as said above at some NAPAs, Fastenal, Graingers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I also try to only use the brass DOT fittings with the plastic air lines. This way if it's leaking I can tighten it up. It is my understanding that the DOT fittings have the built in insert that goes inside the air line as you push it in. This insert is what the ferrule crushes down on to make the seal. The ones like you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot without the insert are made for copper lines or other metal lines. NAPA stores carry the DOT type. Hope this helps.

Ed

Hi Guys,

I want to 'Thank' everyone for the help. I learned something about air line fittings. I did not know about the built in insert on the DOT fittings. It make sense for the plastic lines. I am glad that I asked a question or two about these fittings. Now I know what to look for. Parker has always been a good name in fittings. The nice thing about my area is that there are several stores that I can go into to find these fittings.. It sounds like I might need a bulkhead fitting to do what I want to do.

Thanks again for the help,

Al

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived