AGM Batteries 6Volt or 12V ?

gnikk

I am considering switching over to AGM batteries so which would give me the most usable amps 4-6volt or 4-12volt??? I am looking at the 12 volt AGM batteries sold at Sam's club. They are manufactured by Johnson Controls.

Energizer AGM Commercial Battery - Group Size 31C

Thanks Ken

I am considering switching over to AGM batteries so which would give me the most usable amps 4-6volt or 4-12volt??? I am looking at the 12 volt AGM batteries sold at Sam's club. They are manufactured by Johnson Controls.

The 12v AGM's you're looking at are actually a hybrid deep cycle battery.. half starter battery/deep cycle. Any battery that shows CCA's would be the same.

You would get more bang for your buck and available storage capacity with a "true" deep cycle battery. I would highly doubt that Sam's club carries a true deep cycle 12 or 6 volt AGM so the best you could do would be to go with the 12v 31's or shop at a specialty store or online. In this case, a deep cycle battery will give you nearly 2x the storage capacity in nearly the same amount of space.

Ie., 12v AGM hybrids will typically have around a 100ah capacity. 2 - 6v AGM deep cycle AGM's would generally be more in the 220ah range.

Is there a particular reason you are wanting to with AGM's?

Sam's WOULD have true deep cycle 6v GC (golf cart) wet cell batteries that would run you around $150-$170 a pair for 220ah's.

I will be at Sams in the next day or two, I will investigate what they are selling. That being said, I bought my 6 volt true deep cycle EG2 or EG Extended (I forget) flooded lead acid 230 Amp Hour batteries there a couple years ago and at that time my local store DID NOT HAVE THE SAME IN AGM.

It would be my first "pure guess" until I go there, if they are selling a 12 volt AGM Id bet like Yarome they are sure, AGM, but they may be more like what I consider semi or quasi deep cycle RV/Marine batteries designed to start a huge outboard motor but still be decent for long term low amperage trolling motor operation.

If you want more energy storage capacity and want to compare apples to apples YOU NEED TO KNOW THE AMP HOURS not the CCA etc which starting batteries are usually rated at. SOOOOOOOOO look at (if labeled which I doubt) the Amp Hours of those batteries and compare that to a true deep cycle golf cart (be it lead acid or AGM) battery. Its NOT if its an AGM or lead acid, its how many amp hours. Each have advantages and disadvantages and AGM or lead isnt the issue ITS HOW MANY AMP HOURS OF ENERGY STORAGE and the more the better for low current deep draw down like an RV uses. That's why you want a true deep cycle NOT an auto start battery or a semi hybrid REGARDLESS if AGM or not........

That's my story n Ima stickin to it.....................

John T

Check out the VMaxx website they have a 10% discount, free shipping and maybe no sales tax!...

Hm! That's doesn't look like a bad entry level AGM. $907.16 for 450ah's.. delivered.. Not too shabby! 900 cycles @50%. 1 year warranty. 10% off is first time purchase only and good through 12/31.

Krum, you should post that link up under a new thread so other can take advantage of it.

Another thing to think about if you are in the market to buy or replace a battery bank is that you could also buy a small solar kit (say a 2-400w system)... The price of that and the battery bank would be eligible for a 35% Fedreal tax credit ;-)

I've always been a tinkerer and a fixer...

So what better way to stay active in my retirement than to buy an RV...

If you can fit them, I like the L16 from Fullriver. But they do require a tall storage area.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived