Entry door handrail question

defboater

We have a 2008 Carriage Cameo with all original equipment. The entry door handrail has become loose and does not stay in place while traveling. We are newbies and would like to replace with the original handrail if we can still get it due to the bolt holes. We are in our site for the next 2 months and would love to get this work done with other maintenance.

Any advice and suggestions really appreciated. Thank you all again!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

The original handle that Carriage installed on our rig did lift up and fold forward, but it used plastic tabs to lock it into place. After going down some icy steps, I broke ours. The replacement is aluminum blocks that lock the rail in place.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We replaced ours on our 2009 Carrilite. I'll find our receipt tonight.

Edit-

This fit exact- everything lined up perfectly-

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=AC-530&furl=-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts

Thanks,guys! Appreciate the link, now we can see some specs.

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

The original handle that Carriage installed on our rig did lift up and fold forward, but it used plastic tabs to lock it into place. After going down some icy steps, I broke ours. The replacement is aluminum blocks that lock the rail in place.

That is exactly what happened to ours. It is black plastic covered. Thanks again!

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

I believe that you will find that those are not unique to your RV and that they are readily available in RV supply shops.

Thanks, Kirk, we want to holes to line up exactly, or it won't be a pretty replacement!

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

Thanks,guys! Appreciate the link, now we can see some specs.

We replaced ours on our 2009 Carrilite. I'll find our receipt tonight.

Edit-

This fit exact- everything lined up perfectly-

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=AC-530&furl=-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts

The etrailer link doesn't work - I tried to follow the link and find the part and the part must be discontinued. Anyone know anywhere else I can find a name or part number that will fit this handrail?

Appreciate the help!

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

The one they were linking to at etrailer is this one. A bit spendy @ $119.95 if you ask me. I think you will find though that Kirk is correct. Most of those handrails are fairly universal and not specific to your rig. Stromberg also sells a smaller version for much less.. as well as a "mini" version (the mini version bracket holes WILL be different). Lend-a-hand also sells a standard and mini. Theirs are less expensive, but not quite as sturdy, IMHO. They only have 2 screws per bracket rather than 4, but are also half the price.

The AC-530 is what we bought.

Sorry about the link. It worked when I pasted it in.

Oh, not an issue! I finally did find it, another brand is fine, but glad to know the holes lined up.

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

The one they were linking to at etrailer is this one. A bit spendy @ $119.95 if you ask me. I think you will find though that Kirk is correct. Most of those handrails are fairly universal and not specific to your rig. Stromberg also sells a smaller version for much less.. as well as a "mini" version (the mini version bracket holes WILL be different). Lend-a-hand also sells a standard and mini. Theirs are less expensive, but not quite as sturdy, IMHO. They only have 2 screws per bracket rather than 4, but are also half the price.

Thanks so much, we would love to go to a website. It is under Stromberg Carlson - and I finally found it - the Lend A Hand does look like a match so we'll investigate and contact them.

Thank you all so much. This website and members couldn't be better for newbies!

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

the Lend A Hand does look like a match so we'll investigate and contact them.

Just for informational purposes. If your last rail used 4 screws the lend-a-hand only uses 2, however, the bracket is offset to cover an existing 4 hole setup so really.. either one would work. The Stromberg's have adjustable tension, which can be nice, but the lend-a-hand rails are generally adequate if they are only used as a light support vs. relying on them to 'hoist' your full body weight. KWIM?

Either way.. don't forget to run some silicon or the like. Prevents water penetration as well as adding adhesion.

Archived