autoshift problem

Nolan

Took the truck out for its monthly drive. Like to do this when setting in one place for over a month or more All is good until I get out onto the main road and the service light came on with an alarm. Found out autoshift trainy won't shift out of 3rd gear. Have no lights on the indicator. Take the truck back to the site. Find out reverse gear isn't working will only go forward. Put shifter in neutral air brakes on release clutch to get out and truck shuts down. No neutral. Truck did start right up. Service light and alarm back on. Parked it in an area where a tow truck can get to it if it comes to that. I'm not a mechanic but if you have any easy ideas let me know.

On our 01 Volvo gen 1 AS. There is an inline fuse fit tranny power supply you can check. It's coming off one of the batt posts. There are two. One is for eng ecm.

If you have the light then there is a stored fault code that will take you in manuals. There is a certain way to retrieve.

Call Eaton fuller they will help you trouble shoot. Always helpful. I have manuals so if you can get the code I can check for you.

A few years ago I had an instance stuck in gear and it was the XY shifter. Changed the power supply as well.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Nolan, MrSeas and Billr both gave you good advise....do these things before you do anything else. You do need to retreive the code to see why the tranny is complaining. Eaton hot line 1-800-826-4357 has been very helpful to me on my ultrashift. I have had 2 part related problems that I was able to correct myself: 1. would not go into gear and engine autoreved 3 times on startup===Bad mainshaft speed sensor. 2. Tranny would not shift out of low range [you can't go very fast in 5th gear]===bad transmission harness. The other assorted weird issues have been reset/cured by disconnecting batteries and checking/cleaning grounds. The Eaton and Volvo[1-800-528-6586] help lines are in my cell phone contacts list and both have been helpful. Hope you get to bottom of problem without too much trouble or expense. Be safe Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Some of the stuff you are talking about I have no clue on where to even look. Did check fuses. Decided to call Eaton Fuller and see if I could get some help on what to look for and where it is. Didn't even get that far. Was asked what the problem was, told the guy and was told to take it to a shop and have them see what the codes are, go from there. No help there.

Go to your truck battery box. Look for some wires that are smaller than the larger normal sized cables. Most likely there will also be a fuse holder attached to these smaller wires. There might be some attached to your "positive" and "negative" battery terminals. Remove the "negative" or ground terminals first. If you leave these disconnected for 10 mins or so it will reset the tranny computer. I have the instructions to download the codes but I am not at my computer right now.

Call them from the truck and give then the tranny model off door data plate. Ask them to help you pull the codes. It will be a series of of actions and watching the Serv light flashes.

They should be more help. Trying another guy might help.

Also in resource guide there is a download if the trsnny manual. Gives detailed instructions in retrieving code and what they mean.

That is your best tool to try besides calling.

If that is no go for you and the fuses are ok and power reset as Mr Seas suggested (pull all wires for neg there may be several ) then shop will be your route.

Even if the power reset works the issue is likely to return at some point. Don't ask how I know this. ?

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Post a pic inside your battery box (or both battery boxes if you have a stacked T600) and we can walk you through it. There is a fuse holder in there that holds both the engine ECU and the trans fuses. Sounds like it had a hiccup and the trans freaked and the engine died. But it may have been in the big 2002 wiring upgrade and your 2000 doesn't have it, I can't remember. If it is too old to have it you'll find a double wire hooked to one pole of a circuit breaker that they draw power from instead. Either way I guess it is the same 'find small wires and clean them' process as mentioned above. You just won't find them attached to a battery terminal in a KW. Note that there was also an option to move all the accessory stuff out of the dirty battery box and up to the firewall so it is possible that you don't have any of it in your battery box(es) but we can sort it all out with a pic.

Nolan;

By going to Eaton'so website (ROADRANGER) you should be able to use their manuals and flowcharts to figure out the problem. They will instruct you how to pull the codes for the transmission(if you have a cab or shift control display to see them on).

Good luck.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived