TigerDirect Soon to be gone?

Biker56

Having sales now at closing stores. And company was sold.

Carl Fiorentino , once the president of TigerDirect was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison on bribery charges. Gilbert Fiorentino the CEO, got five years.

Big layoff in Jan.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Wow!

I was never much of a fan in later years but before Amazon, before Newegg, there were TigerDirect catalogs in my mailbox. They will be missed. I wonder if the consumer online sales will continue, the B2B division sold, and the brix n stix stores only closed.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I wonder if the consumer online sales will continue,

As far as I know, yes. One of my sisters works for TigerDirect in the Boise, ID, area. I'm pretty sure she works online sales, not at a sticks and bricks store. Several people at her place of business were laid off, but, fortunately, she retained her job.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

That's good news Linda, thanks. I missed the 65" 4k TV I wanted on Dell's presale for $1299.99 it sold out, then I missed it on TigerDirect for the same price. I finally found it on Amazon for ten bucks less and no tax charged like Dell.

WMC,

I doubt that TD's demise, or CompUSA will make a big difference in competitive pricing. I gradually switched to Newegg 95% of the time because they were the same price as TD, but free shipping. Then Amazon came on scene and free two day as Prime member (which is worth three times as much which I would not pay,) and now Newegg will pretty much get it to me two day without paying extra but they don't claim that, so it is always a surprise. Under promise always over deliver wins. Newegg is trying to do a paid member two day ship system too but without the Movies, books, music, and other Prime features, like first shot today on Black Friday deals, unlimited photo storage when taken with my Fire HDX tablet, makes total sense.

TD has been slipping for years online and off. Perhaps they can now viably compete online only without having the brix n stix. It would take free shipping all the time. I really don't care if the deal is right. I order direct from China many times getting things for a buck or two that cost $9.99 on Amazon etc. Bit the direct from China stuff takes as long as 30 days to arrive and that won't work for RVrs.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well this is very interesting, ordered a docking station for my Lenovo laptop a while back. When I received it, it wouldn't work, called Lenovo customer support and they informed me that the warranty had expired on my BRAND NEW docking station. Guess it's pretty obvious that Tiger Direct keeps the stock on the shelf a long time, called them for return shipping authorization and shipped it back to them. Will be interesting to see if I get my money back.....

Retired Air Force

2003 Newmar Dutch Star Model # 4006

Sparton Chassis Cummins 350 ISC

Jet,

I bought the dock for my Venue 11 Pro and already had a 7 Port USB 2 hub that is just as good since I also have a USB to GB Ethernet port adapter, ad all my laptops and tablets all have HDMI ports right on them. I have an eye level Tablet holder on my desk hutch hanging down and when I want to use a keyboard I just pop in the USB receiver for one of my three spare desktop wireless mouse and keyboard sets. I also have 2 Bluetooth keyboards on in a dock with speakers and USB charging ports. It is for tablets without ports like iPads and phones. All my windows tablets have their own full size USB3 ports, SD card slots as well as HDMI ports.

So I bought a powered three port USB 3.0 hub, that actually has a SATA plug in for a hard drive on one side for 2.5" drives only. Way cheaper than the branded docks or universal ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182366 $14.99. But don't order it without reading the reviews. It is obvious to me some of the folks were trying to boot with drives or devices hooked up and powered before they booted, another there had a drive hooked up on boot and wondered why it slowed booting up down. Never power up an external drive hooked up to a computer before the computer is booted. I usually shut down my computer to switch drives even in my hot swappable docks, or at least eject them safely then turn off or unplug the dock to swap, then just turn the dock back on to reconnect.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived