trailer suspention

roadfitter

It may be a little late for the fall migration.

I have recently finished repacking all 6 wheels, checking brake conditions. Those items are always topics of conversation on the forum but How Many have thought to check out the spring hangers, spring bushings, spring equalizers and there bushings. This was the second time I have rebuilt my trailer suspension. I think this has to be given a good look at especially after 20 or 30 thousand miles. The 1st. time, in 2008, I had to replace 2 equalizer hangers, 3 equalizers and most of the bushings. Most of the old bushings were brass/bronze. Those are very hard to find now, now most of the replacement bushings are plastic or in some cases nylon. The thing is most suppliers cant or wont tell you what there made of, that's all they have.

This time with about 30K miles on the suspension I replaced 1 equalizer and 9 bushings. The wet or greaseable pins, with zerks, were rideing on metal to metal. Both times equalizers and hangers were elongated even with greaseable pins/bolts.

SO a close look at the suspension parts is advisable! JMHO.

NOTE: My tires have never shown any serious wear patterns. I rotate my tires out every 3 to 4 years so every year or year and a half I add 2 new tires and have them all balanced and rotated

at that time. Makes for happy camping.

HAPPY TRAILS

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Judging by how many trailer roll through my shop with shackles, bushings, and bolts right on the edge of failure it must be pretty commonly overlooked. I see the thorough inspections as an up sell as well as preventing a family's ruined vacation.

Have a look at the NeverFail bushings as I'm on my fourth year and they are still snug enough on the bolts that a mallet is required to install them.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same experience with the suspension of my 4012 Cyclone TH. I rebuilt the suspension, equalizers and shackles twice, (about every two years). During each rebuild at least half of the holes where out of round and bushings wore out. That was with wet bolt kits. Also, had to lift the weight off to get some bolts to take grease. We were running about 14.5 on 3 axels. I had the IS suspension installed and have not looked back. If you are planning on keeping your rig and dislike the constant worry, its worth it-IMHO.

Short story. Cheap junk at work.

019.jpg

That's how we made it to the final destination (Escapee Rally) 200 miles away. (With the broken shackles)

021.jpg

Trailer fire where the tire was rubbing on the flooring when the shackles let go. (Luckily caught it before it really got going)

020.jpg

"Real" (Dexter) shackles purchased and installed at the Rally.

022.jpg

Archived